Clutch fork rattle on 71’

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
R2D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 80602
State: CO

Clutch fork rattle on 71’

Post by R2D100 »

I am having a small rattle thats coming from the clutch fork. If i put a little bit of pressure on the clutch fork where the rod meets the fork, the rattle is gone. Before i risk tearing a clutch fork boot that has no issues, can the clutch fork be tightened?? What might be causing this issue? Gracias!

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Re: Clutch fork rattle on 71’

Post by Jims68 »

The forks are held in by a clip, so you cannot adjust them to be tighter.

Are you positive it isn't the throwout bearing that is giving you the rattle sound?

Maybe adjust the rod that goes to the fork to be a bit tighter.

I "THINK" that there is a grommet of some sort that goes into the fork where the adjustment bolt goes through. Check that as well.

Sorry if I am not 100% correct... it's been YEARS since I've looked at one, but these ideas may help.
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

R2D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by R2D100 »

Well, i havent had any issue with the throwout bearing that i am aware of. I drive the truck a small distance about once a week. Might put 10-20 miles on a week and it has been operating fine as far as i can tell. The clutch fork rests up against the throwout bearing, correct?

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Yes, the throwout bearing has two "clips" on each side, and those clips hold it onto the ears of the Fork. The sound probably isn't your bearing... I was just mentioning it. They make a "bad bearing" sound. Not a rattle sound.

Do you have a return spring?? I think yours should have one and "if" it broke (rusted) off, that may be why it has a rattle.

For MOPARs: http://www.drivinithome.com/wp-content/ ... clutch.jpg

I HOPE someone with a 69-71 Stick will jump in with some better knowledge. I am just trying to help... :salut
Jim

R2D100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by R2D100 »

I have replaced a couple clutches thru the years and have had a bad bearing.. didnt think this was it. Were talkin about some old technology here. Wouldnt surprise me if it werent held together but twine.

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

R2D100 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:42 pm
Wouldnt surprise me if it werent held together but twine.
It's more modern that that.... maybe WIRE... but we're a couple of years past Twine! :lol:
Jim

pismopowerwagon
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Caldwell
State: ID

Post by pismopowerwagon »

Sounds like the return spring isn't hooked up like Jim mentioned.
Andy

dbolterII
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: capitol
State: MN

Post by dbolterII »

howdy, I am rebuilding my clutch right now, '64 d~100 hydro bell 318 np 420, and noticed I am missing my return spring that goes from clutch slave bracket.... I am having trouble finding one. Is anybody knowing a part number or size or source? a spring is a spring, I am just not sure what size to get ..... thanks ~d

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

dbolterII wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 pm
a spring is a spring, I am just not sure what size to get ..... thanks ~d
If you need to select one to dimension from an enormous range of possibilities, try Century Spring in Los Angeles. They make and ship anything, regardless of size or count, and for a very fair price.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The spring is a very specific dia, length, strength and shape. Has an extended length straight section on one end.

Wildergarten
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Los Gatos
State: CA

Post by Wildergarten »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:45 pm
The spring is a very specific dia, length, strength and shape. Has an extended length straight section on one end.
Know that well. And you can probably get it at Century Spring. There is a very good possibility Dodge did too. I've used them for everything from marine parts, cars, photo-optical equipment, cameras, aerospace, and electronics. They do one-offs, they do millions. They do springs.

You should see that catalog. It's amazing. https://dpk3n3gg92jwt.cloudfront.net/do ... og_web.pdf

There are four springs possibly involved with that clutch fork rattle, the leaf spring rivited to retain the fork, the return spring on the end of the fork, and the two on the throw-out bearing housing. There is also one on the pedal and ('69+) a very custom little beast wrapped around the end of the linkage tube.
'69 W200 (thumbnail)
'68 W200 (RIP)
'68 W200 383 NP435 3.53
'67 W200 383 NP435 4.10 w overload springs, Dana 60, PTO winch & flatbed dump, racks, crane, c-air (Max)
Mark Vande Pol
Wildergarten.org

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Wildergarten wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:47 pm
PwrWgnDrvr wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:45 pm
Know that well. And you can probably get it at Century Spring. There is a very good possibility Dodge did too. I've used them for everything from marine parts, cars, photo-optical equipment, cameras, aerospace, and electronics. They do one-offs, they do millions. They do springs.

You should see that catalog. It's amazing. https://dpk3n3gg92jwt.cloudfront.net/do ... og_web.pdf

There are four springs possibly involved with that clutch fork rattle, the leaf spring rivited to retain the fork, the return spring on the end of the fork, and the two on the throw-out bearing housing. There is also one on the pedal and ('69+) a very custom little beast wrapped around the end of the linkage tube.
Yabut - DBolter is dealing with a 64 with the hydro clutch bell - -totally different spring setup....
Probably can find it in a catalogue, but need specs and they ain't easy to get.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

dbolterII wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:27 pm
howdy, I am rebuilding my clutch right now, '64 d~100 hydro bell 318 np 420, and noticed I am missing my return spring that goes from clutch slave bracket.... I am having trouble finding one. Is anybody knowing a part number or size or source? a spring is a spring, I am just not sure what size to get ..... thanks ~d
You can probably find the part number here: http://sweptline.org/1963_1968_Cat6.html

I don't know enough about the part to find the specific number.