Coolant Recovery Tank

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Coolant Recovery Tank

Post by BigJimG »

Considering my upper radiator to core support bracket/cover is damaged, and I have a coolant recovery tank from a lifestyle a truck I'm considering mounting it in the open space.

Thoughts?
Convenient Opening
Convenient Opening
Mocked into place, need to trim the tab and drill some new holes for self-tappers
Mocked into place, need to trim the tab and drill some new holes for self-tappers
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

sledgehammer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: puyallup,wa

Re: Coolant Recovery Tank

Post by sledgehammer »

I thought about putting one of those on mine but couldn't get it to fit with the radiator I have

12Valve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grand Forks
State: ND

Post by 12Valve »

What did you get the tank off of? I'm interested in doing the same mod.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I've seen that done many times and think if you desire an overflow tank its a viable option. Does the job and looks ddecent.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

JLeather
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ijamsville
State: MD

Post by JLeather »

Did the sweptlines have any sort of coolant recovery tank stock? My '67 randomly pukes a 10" spot out on the floor of the garage, so I need to do something. Besides making a mess I end up having to top off the coolant from time to time.

BigJimG
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Flint
State: MI

Post by BigJimG »

The coolant recovery tank came off a 1976 W200 I scrapped out a few years ago. Old Michigan plow truck, killed by cancer. A quick search shows this tank appearing to be 76-78, with 79 being a slightly different style. It might be available on earlier years, but I pretty sure this style ended with the core support change in 1981.

I forgot to take a final picture, but here's what I did.

1: Trim (already damaged) upper core to radiator bracket to make room for tank
2: Used a piece of weather stripping on the flange of the tank where it contacts the radiator.
3: Used split fuel hose over cut edge of bracket to protect sides tank
4: Used 3 self drilling/tapping screws to fasten tank to core support.
5: Trimmed "Leftover" tabs flush with core support.

I still need to switch the cap for a partial pressure,recovery style cap.

There is a small hole in my hood where it looks like at one time someone had a hood ornament... This tank sits directly underneath that hole. There is about 1/2" of clearance between the top of the tank and the hood.
'63 D100
Build Link: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=40000

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

JLeather wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 pm
Did the sweptlines have any sort of coolant recovery tank stock? My '67 randomly pukes a 10" spot out on the floor of the garage, so I need to do something. Besides making a mess I end up having to top off the coolant from time to time.
I haven't seen any with an overflow tank stock. but could have been a rare option. They were an option on flat fender power wagons.
don't top it off anymore and it will stop doing it. radiators have a max level and if you keep topping it off it will keep spitting a bit out till it gets to the right level. full is really about an inch below the top of tanks in most cases. it might say in the manual