69 D100 shortbed build

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Billings
State: MT

69 D100 shortbed build

Post by bustedknuckle »

Alright guys. First time working on a dodge for forgive me if I ask a lot of questions. Have a 69 d100 shortbed that we are going to be fixing up. Body is in great shape except for running board area. Awesome green patina paint. Has a 318 and 4 speed.

The guy I am fixing this truck for wants something dependable and easier to drive so his son can have it. I’m thinking crown Vic cradle to get the ifs and power steering. Maybe build a 360 and keep the 4 speed and rear (although the rear looks pretty wimpy).

Would like some feedback on what you’ve done similarly. Any ideas that maybe I wouldn’t have thought of.

bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: 69 D100 shortbed build

Post by bustedknuckle »

So it sounds like the 4 speed will be solid for this ride as well as the 8 3/4 rear end. I will be looking to add a sure grip with some new gears likely.

Found a 360 that has all the machine work done but it is .060 over. Supposedly sonic tested, balanced and has some quality internals.

Still no opinions about this combo on here??

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

If you search through the build threads you should find a lot of your answers. Folks have built these trucks many different ways. The 360 uses a different bracket on the passenger side of the engine for motor mount and of course the flywheel is balanced differently, internal 318 vs external 360. the 8 3/4 rear diff is pretty strong but you probably have a 741 or 742 casting which are the weakest 489 being the strongest. All of the pulleys and bracketry should be interchangeable. Gas Monkey garage did a Crown Vic front under one, I believe there are YouTube videos of it.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

A properly rebuilt stock front suspension and steering system is
easy to drive. My grandmother could even handle it. :2cents :Thumbsup

John

bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bustedknuckle »

Thanks for the info guys. So this truck originally had a 3.91 sure grip which has been taken out apparently because it's now an open diff.

A well informed fella told me about a new front end for these trucks he read about in Mopar magazine. Bolt on IFS with rack and pinion power etc. Anyone know where I can get more info on this?

thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: western kentucky
State: KY

Post by thehemikid »

Didn't see the article but saw this mentioned on Moparts, a week or so ago. Not sure if it's what you heard about.

http://gerstsuspensions.com/products/gts-ifs/

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

That's the crap from the Hoffman Company that has several names they sell their products under.

The earlier post with link is for Gerst which is a bolt-on custom IRS. It would be a neat and quick package if that's what a person wants. I did notice however that there is little space left for standard headers due to the steering shaft. So, bolt-on IRS that would require custom fabricated headers (or OEM manifolds).

- EM

thehemikid
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: western kentucky
State: KY

Post by thehemikid »

I know one shouldn't have to with as much as those cost but,...Couldn't you add another u-joint to give more room. Or possibly cut the input shaft shorter & re-spline to help also.
Attachments
Gerst kit 1.PNG

bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bustedknuckle »

Just some updates. We have a 360 ready to go into this truck. The 318 has a front sump and the 360 has a rear sump pan.

1.) Is there a 360 front sump pan that will work if we keep the front end stock?

2.) With the crown Vic front end would a rear sump be the correct one to use?

3.) Where can I get the passenger side motor mount for the 360?

I'm going to keep searching the forums but if someone reads this and has the answer off the top of their head that would be awesome. I'll get some pics soon.

bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bustedknuckle »

So I've read that the 318 flywheel might not work since the 360 is externally balanced. The 360 won't be coming apart so how do I balance a flywheel for the 360? Which balancer do I use?

This is more difficult than I thought.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

bustedknuckle wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 pm
So I've read that the 318 flywheel might not work since the 360 is externally balanced. The 360 won't be coming apart so how do I balance a flywheel for the 360? Which balancer do I use?

318 Flywheel can be re balanced to work on a 360. You need to find a speed shop that specializes in re balancing of components if a correct 360 flywheel can not be sourced.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

bustedknuckle wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:25 pm
So I've read that the 318 flywheel might not work since the 360 is externally balanced.
The stock 318 flywheel won't work. Seeing as how your truck is a '69 with the 23 spline
tranny input shaft and clutch disc, I'm wondering if someone knows if an early Lifestyle
LA360 flywheel would work with the Sweptline mechanical bell housing? :thinking :2cents

John

bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bustedknuckle »

Heres a 10.5" 130t 360 flywheel

We need to measure and count teeth on old flywheel when the motor comes out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Billet-Steel-F ... xo&vxp=mtr

bustedknuckle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bustedknuckle »

So for all of those one this thread I'll update ya.

The build will no be stock front suspension, 360 with 727 auto transmission. The frame has been painted with POR15. Axles are going back on and we'll be getting disc brakes put back on the front.

We discovered the floor pans and rockers need replaced but thats some expensive sheet metal!