help with engine numbers please

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
vroc4507
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sanborn
State: IA

help with engine numbers please

Post by vroc4507 »

Hello, I just purchased a different '66 D100 yesterday. The previous owner removed the original slant 6/3 speed combo and had a supposedly rebuilt 318 with a 904 auto trans that came with the truck. He claims to not know what year the 318 is. The casting number on the block is 4104230-318-1. Can any of you please tell me what year this engine is in the event that I need to order parts for it?

I got the engine on my stand this evening and it won't turn over by hand. Shame on me for not checking it out closer before purchasing! Looks like I'm going to be opening it up and probably in need of ordering parts for a rebuild, or scrap it for another engine if it's not worth a rebuild.

Pretty upset with myself right now for driving an 1100 mile round trip and ending up with a junk engine! Gotta wonder if the tranny is crap also.

Thank you in advance!
BK

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: help with engine numbers please

Post by MadMC63 »

1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

vroc4507 wrote: The casting number on the block is 4104230-318-1. Can any of you please tell me what year this engine is in the event that I need to order parts for it?

BK
The other side of the engine will have the date that the block was cast. It should be early 80s.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Based on what I've read online part number 4104230 is a 318 around 80 to 84 model revision 4 of castings. The part number identifies it as a "race engine" but reading through numerous other forums no one can distinguish why. It is rumored to have thicker cylinder walls but I cant find anything referencing a sonic bore test so, just a rumor.It's more than likely just a run of the mill 318. Totally superfluous but there were 3 318 cast in aluminum late 60's early 70's, two vanished and one was purchased by a collector never to be seen or heard of again so... all vanished ( Mopar Muscle magazine article).
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

vroc4507
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Sanborn
State: IA

Post by vroc4507 »

Thank you for your help gentlemen! The numbers on the other side of the block indicate was built in '84.

Thank you again!
BK