Cleaning axle tubes on Dana 60

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Auburn
State: AL

Cleaning axle tubes on Dana 60

Post by SteveH »

Hey there,
I've done a few other types of differentials but this is my first experience with a Dana 60.
The others I did were transaxles (VW/Porsche) and older British cars. Totally different design.

What I want to do is clean out the axle tubes on the rear housing. This truck sat for decades and the axle tubes have a big load of rust/grit in the bottom half of the tube. I have pullled the axles and the differential cover. The crown/differential carrier and gears are rust free and pristine.

The axles themselves had a fair amount of oily rust flakes on them, and when I pulled the little breather assembly (The one that also bolts down the brake "T" fitting) to clean it, I stuck a screw driver down into the hole and pulled up a bunch of gunk. It is thick like putty and a mix of rust, grit, and hardened oil. Not good. And I estimate it's over 1/4 " deep at least.

I want to clean all that out, but don't want to flush it into the differential assembly if I can help it.
The easiest way to do it is to sort of approach it like cleaning a gun barrel using a "ramrod" and cleaner rags, and copious amounts of BrakeNparts cleaner spray (I've got two cases of the stuff),... But I want to avoid all that crud getting pushed into the crown/differential carrier and gears. I'd like to remove the differential carrier to do this.

Is it a major pain to remove the four large mounting bolts that hold the mounting caps on and remove the carrier?
Yes, I will take note of any shims and keep track of them and where they go.

I've tried to read up on this but the info in the manual is kinda sparse, and an online search was all over the place as to advice.

I'm mainly thinking out loud here,...and may just go the probably easier route and "shield" the differential with plastic or some such and go ahead with the axle tube cleaning,...but wondering what others might have to say about how to approach cleaning out those axle tubes...

Open to suggestions and opinions.
What say y'all?

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: Cleaning axle tubes on Dana 60

Post by MadMC63 »

Disassemble the entire unit and like a gun barrel use a small 4" chimney brush and parts cleaner extended with threaded rod and an adapter nut attached to a drill. Cleans the tubes very thoroughly. Other more accessible areas are at your discretion.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Yes, I think that's the only option.
I made a tool out of a piece of all thread and double nutting a washer on the end. I ground down one side so I could stick it into the axle tube on the high side, and then lower it and scrape the gunk forward....and it worked.
I got about a quarter cup of rust paste out of there. But there's absolutely no way I can clean it really this way.

I've got to take the crown/differential carrier out.
It's the only way I can get all this goo out.

Am I correct in that requires the housing spreader?
I am hoping not,..but my suspicion is yes, it is required.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Whoo Hoo,..I got it out !
I looked online and saw where sometimes with older units you can pry the gear out without the spreader.
Also I got a tip to replace the lower bearing cap bolts with long bolts about ten inches long. This held the big heavy gear assembly from falling out when it popped out of it's position.

The way I got it out was to rotate it till one of the bolts on the differential carrier had a "flat" facing the axle housing. This allowed me to get a good purchase on that flat with a crowbar. I used two crowbars, one on each side,...and gave it a little pull and POP it came out,..resting safely on the long lower bolts I had there just for that purpose.

Now I can clean those axle tubes out correctly. I'm going to rig up something on the end of that allthread piece and chuck it in a drill. I think I've got a wire wheel that's small enough to arbor onto that all thread.
So,..it's off to cleaning.

Thanks for the advice.
Yes,...it's the only way to do it right.

Steve H in Auburn

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

Go out and buy a cheap toilet brush, duct tape it to a broom handle and use some mineral spirits to help break it up. Works very well.

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

Yes, that sounds very much like what I eventually did.
I took a piece of 1/4 inch all thread I had laying around and double nutted a stout rag to it.
Sprayed a copious amount of CRC Brake cleaner in there, inserted the all thread that was chucked up into a drill and spun away. I did this over and over and over..... It took a case of the cleaner, and several rags,..now it's all clean as a whistle. I had to repeatedly flush the center section and also flush out in the cavity behind the pinion bearing.

Here's a shot of the initial scraping I did when I started. When I started I used the all thread with a fender washer nutted to the end. I slid it in on the high side, then let it drop to the floor of the axle tube and pulled it back out. I put the Diff cover nut in the pan for perspective. NO way I was going to let all this rusty crud ride in there anymore.!!
image.jpeg

SteveH
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SteveH »

But now I've got another problem.
Inspecting the differential side carrier bearings I discovered this.

This truck sat for decades. This is the result.
image.jpeg
Now I have to change these bearings.
I know a bit about setting up gear sets so what I am going to do is get a new set of bearings and Mic them for thickness. Then compare that thickness with the originals and add or subtract shims to get me back to factory spec.
This truck has very little mileage so wear is not an issue really. The lash is good as is,..it's just that I can't have a bearing race looking like this one looks.

The other problem is that I don't own the clamshell bearing puller required,...but I soon will. They're not too bad price wise,..and I already have the press and required drifts to put everything back together.
I did call my local NAPA guy who is also a big Vintage Dodge owner and fan, but he said no one in his circle has that puller either. looks like I'm going to be the guy who lends it out haha.
Oh well, it'll all work out in the end. I'm saving loads by doing all this myself,...and if you look at it that way, I'm getting the bearing puller for "free" right?
That's what I like to tell myself anyway...

DavidPope
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eston, Sask, Canada
State: Foreign

Post by DavidPope »

That bearing wouldn't last very long at all. I'd change all the bearings when one looks like that. Probably run low on oil at one time. I used a set from Yukon Gear. They seem to have quality US made stuff.