Bell housing colour

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, etc..

Bell housing colour

Postby fireguyfire » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Restoring my 1979 slant 6 d-100 to factory condition. I have the engine out, and apart, and of course it is Chrysler blue.
My bell housing has hints of turquoise paint on it also; would the bell housing have been blue from the factory? I guess there is a chance the hints I am seeing are overspray so I thought I would ask for opinions.
I thought I read somewhere that the bell housings were painted the engine colour, but the transmissions were left bare metal.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
fireguyfire
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

City: Cochrane
State: Foreign

Re: Bell housing colour

Postby dodgeboykim » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 pm

fireguyfire wrote:Restoring my 1979 slant 6 d-100 to factory condition. I have the engine out, and apart, and of course it is Chrysler blue.
My bell housing has hints of turquoise paint on it also; would the bell housing have been blue from the factory? I guess there is a chance the hints I am seeing are overspray so I thought I would ask for opinions.
I thought I read somewhere that the bell housings were painted the engine colour, but the transmissions were left bare metal.
Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

Bell housings generally would be unpainted aluminiumn. Maybe over spray on it , But I dont think so.OEM only painted the stuff that shows. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 with 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 L/B 360 auto on propane.
dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Return to *ENGINE/DRIVELINE HELP*