Clutch/flywheel operation question with video

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
demliag
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Clutch/flywheel operation question with video

Post by demliag »

I've had a strange noise coming from around the transmission bellhousing, and today I took off the inspection cover and operated the clutch. In the video linked below, you can see (at about 15 seconds, I had to start the video and then crawl out from under the truck to operate clutch) that when the pedal is pressed, the whole flywheel moves before the clutch discs separate. The flywheel stays in the location that it was pushed to, but I can move it back and forth by hand. This doesn't seem logical to me. Is there something wrong here? Any thoughts?
Link: https://youtu.be/UcFBstrqYvo

demliag
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Re: Clutch/flywheel operation question with video

Post by demliag »

Update: turns out the whole crank is moving. Below is a video of the front of the crank. You can see it move as I move the flywheel back and forth at about the 15 second mark. Why would the crank move so much?
Link: https://youtu.be/oAHc0MJz3p8

allsupj
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden
State: ID

Post by allsupj »

Does not look right. Assuming the crank is not broken, crank end play looks way too much, should be .005-.007 or so. Maybe no thrust bearing surface left on main.

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

Your trust bearing is shot. If it doesn't clunk, knock or rattle its a miracle. Time for a crank kit.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?