OOOPS!!! Damage control. Need advice.

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
EnglandStGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntington Beach
State: CA

OOOPS!!! Damage control. Need advice.

Post by EnglandStGarage »

I was installing some headers on my motor this weekend and noticed that one of the stud holes had a helicoil loosely hanging out after the stud came out with the nut. It's the first hole on the drivers side. The one that goes into the water jacket in the head.

I was worried that the hole was going to be blown out but the tap ran through smoothly and the heli coil went in fine. Everything looked good. Considering that I was expecting the worst, I was feeling pretty good about it.

At this point I'm helping my wife with the kids and kind of working on the rig when I can.

I get back to it and run a stud down the hole and I feel some light resistance and realize THAT I FORGOT TO BREAK THE TANG OFF!!!!

I back it out and get a mirror and look in there...no tang. Dammit!

I tried to get a magnet in there but no luck.

Now I'm trying to decide if I should pull a freeze plug and see if I can find it or just run it and cross my fingers.

Is it possible for that thing to make it to the water pump? I just don't want to start it without getting some knowledge from someone who knows more than me.

at least they look good!

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: OOOPS!!! Damage control. Need advice.

Post by wally426ci »

Great camper. I would think that it would fall to the bottom. I wonder if you could replace one of the smaller freeze plugs with a magnetic one (kind of like the magnetic oil pan plugs) :thinking

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

It will just sit in the block. There is nowhere near enough flow to move it.

EnglandStGarage
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntington Beach
State: CA

Post by EnglandStGarage »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:It will just sit in the block. There is nowhere near enough flow to move it.
That's what I was hoping to hear!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.