67' D200 won't start

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Lurker
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lockport
State: NY

67' D200 won't start

Post by Lurker »

Hello everyone, here is a little overview of my situation. I have a 1967 D200 crew with a 383/4spd to the best of my knowledge the engine is all original. I have driven the truck around 300mi since I bought it last fall and had zero issues. always seemed to run fine and start quickly. The other day I was going to take the truck to a local car show, I started it up and it started easily as always. I backed out of my drive went about a block and it started to stall I pulled to the side of the road and tried to maintain idle with the gas pedal. It began to backfire and could not maintain idle without pedal and then let out a loud bang and blew the muffler off. I repeatedly tried to get it running again so I could limp back to my driveway. After a hour of looking things over making sure no plug wires were loose or anything else visually askew, I attempted to start again. Foot to the floor it struggled to fire up and out of nowhere it started up like nothing ever happened and I drove it back home. I pulled the old muffler off and grabbed a cherrybomb to replace it. Went to start and it started but idled high which occasionally would happen and could be remedied with a quick blip of the throttle. I blipped the throttle and it dropped idle until it wanted to stall, I gave it some throttle to keep it alive and it backfired again and then I let off and it stalled. I could not get it to start again since then, it just sounds like it wants to fire up but just cant get there. I have drained the entire tank, blew out all the fuel lines and was able to blow through the fuel filter with ease. I am definitely getting fuel to the carb and have replaced the spark plugs and I am getting spark (pulled the wires and fired to ground) I replaced the coil and the cap and rotor look to be in good shape (replaced by previous owner very recently) the rotor spins normally and I have 12v on both terminals on the coil. Air cleaner is brand new, I blew out the carb but could not get it apart to inspect the float but when applying gas pedal gas freely squirts into bowl. I am at a total loss here. I have not checked compression yet but find it odd that it started and ran fine after the first instance. If I hold the top flap of the carb open when cranking it seems to want to halfway start but just can't get it going. I am at a total loss here any advice would be appreciated!
67' D200 Crew 383/4spd
69' Firebird
09' G8 GT

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: 67' D200 won't start

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Change the rotor, cap, condenser and points. Then it'll start.

franktiregod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Covington
State: GA

Post by franktiregod »

Have you checked the timing chain?
Im memory, Sgt Franklin Stephens Jr
6-16-1986 12-5-2008
Ride it like you stole it among the stars

Lurker
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Lurker »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Change the rotor, cap, condenser and points. Then it'll start.
I got a new rotor and cap I will let you know how it goes.
67' D200 Crew 383/4spd
69' Firebird
09' G8 GT

ozzie
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: colorado springs
State: CO

Post by ozzie »

a friend had a ford pickup, and it wouldn't start found out he did a tune up, and didn't change the condenser. found out that the condenser was the problem.
ozzie

Lurker
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Lurker »

Just wanted to give an update. I replaced the points and condenser and she is running again. I also replaced the ignition coil, rotor, cap, plugs and wires. Thank you everyone for your help! :Thumbsup
67' D200 Crew 383/4spd
69' Firebird
09' G8 GT

67andOneHalfD200
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: New Cuyama
State: CA

Post by 67andOneHalfD200 »

I had the same problem as you described after going through a complete distributor tune-up.
After a few weeks the condenser failed. I was lucky to keep her rolling through all green lights & back home backfiring loud enough to scare the neighbors.

Why can't they make good condensers any more?
I never had this problem in the 60's & 70's.

Anyone got a reliable brand to recommend?