Steering box question (1971)

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lincoln
State: RI
Location: Manville RI (no seriously, its a village. The day they named the place was a slow day mentally.)

Steering box question (1971)

Post by crashresq21 »

So out of curiosity, because my steering is extremely labor intensive, I've been going through every piece of the steering mechanism. Kingpins are in the cards right now and most joints except for the drag link have been replaced. So I cracked open the steering box fill nut and checked the insides, finger came up with some sort of thick grease with a slight rust color.

My question to the masses would be what exactly type of fluid should be in there and how exactly could you change it if needed? I'm looking at buying a rebuilt or having the original rebuilt down the line but for now I'm just trying to find ways to soften up the steering. Thanks in advance :-)
"Dealing with me is like playing chess with Charlie Manson. 99% of the time you're like 'this guy is on his game', and then there's the one time I shove a pawn up my @#% and dance around"

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Steering box question (1971)

Post by Hobcobble »

From the FSM....
Models D100, D200, D300, W100 & W200 Only:

"Level of the lubricant in the steering gear should be inspected
every 2000 miles. Replenish if necessary, with Steering Gear
Grease. Remove filler plug. Grease buildup under plug must be
pushed away to view actual lubricant level. Lubricant should
cover worm gear. NOTE: Automotive Multi-Purpose grease may
be used if steering grease is not available"

John :study

crashresq21
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lincoln
State: RI
Location: Manville RI (no seriously, its a village. The day they named the place was a slow day mentally.)

Re: Steering box question (1971)

Post by crashresq21 »

Perfect. Exactly what I'm looking for thank you John. Come the fall I'm pulling her out for cleaning and rebuild.
"Dealing with me is like playing chess with Charlie Manson. 99% of the time you're like 'this guy is on his game', and then there's the one time I shove a pawn up my @#% and dance around"