Slant 6 Manifold Bolt Info Needed

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Slant 6 Manifold Bolt Info Needed

Post by Brudog »

I am missing the two bolts that screw into the head to secure the exhaust manifold on my slant 6. The remaining ones that secure the exhaust and intake manifolds are studs sticking out of the head. I have all of those. Just need the two outside most bolts on each side. My truck is a 68.

So if anyone could tell me what I need to know to replace them, that would be a great help (length, size, TPI, etc.). Parts store couldn't look up that info on their computer.

Thank you! :usa

Jim

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Slant 6 Manifold Bolt Info Needed

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The slant 6 in the 67 in my front yard has studs front to back for the manifolds. There are no bolts at the ends.

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Slant 6 Manifold Stud Info Needed

Post by Brudog »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:The slant 6 in the 67 in my front yard has studs front to back for the manifolds. There are no bolts at the ends.
Ugh, so I guess mine were replaced with bolts sometime in the past if they are all supposed to be studs sticking out of the block.

Well in that case, I will need to know the information for the studs I will need to replace them... :thinking

Thanks.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Take one of the others out of your head, take it to Napa and get a few. They're all the same. Nothing special about them. Use a bolt if u want, grade 8 would be best.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:Take one of the others out of your head, take it to Napa and get a few. They're all the same. Nothing special about them. Use a bolt if u want, grade 8 would be best.
Perhaps slathering a bit of anti-seize on the bolt would be a good idea too. :2cents :Thumbsup
John

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

Take one of the others out of your head, take it to Napa and get a few.

What's the best tool and/or method to get one out? I accidentally had a stud come out from one of the hubs, and never got that one back in fully.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

I use mini vise grip or mini pipe wrench. Or, u could measure the depth of the empty hole, determine the size and thread with a bolt and get studs based on the measurements. Im pretty sure it is a 5/16" coarse thread in the head and fine thread on the nut end. But might be 3/8". Don't feel like walking outside to look when u can easily do it on yours.

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Brudog »

PwrWgnDrvr wrote:I use mini vise grip or mini pipe wrench. Or, u could measure the depth of the empty hole, determine the size and thread with a bolt and get studs based on the measurements. Im pretty sure it is a 5/16" coarse thread in the head and fine thread on the nut end. But might be 3/8". Don't feel like walking outside to look when u can easily do it on yours.
Great, thanks for the info.