Removing and Installing Rebuilt Master and Slave

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Cleanfingernails
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Removing and Installing Rebuilt Master and Slave

Post by Cleanfingernails »

Mr. John Geidl is in the process of rebuilding the master and slave cylinders for my 1963 D300. My nickname is Cleanfingernails and although I am proficient at signing checks I rely on my mechanic to get things done. I have had great success in asking questions in this forum to help make sure my mechanic gets it right the first time. So, what are the tricks of the trade to make sure the removal and instillation of a new master and slave are done correctly? What mistakes can be avoided? What type of fluid do you recommend? Thanks.
Cleanfingernails
1963 D300 Poly318 Custom Original Camper

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Removing and Installing Rebuilt Master and Slave

Post by dodgeboykim »

If you are having the single master rebuilt for your motor home D300 Now is the time to do a dual braking upgrade for safety and piece of mind. :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

Kaegi
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Allyn WA

Post by Kaegi »

get help to remove and install the master. hard to hold a wrench under the dash and turn the nuts under the hood at the same time. use just regular dot 3 brake fluid. start the line connections before tightening the slave all the way. it helps to be able to move it around a bit so you don't cross thread the line.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Cleanfingernails wrote:Mr. John Geidl is in the process of rebuilding the master and slave cylinders for my 1963 D300. My nickname is Cleanfingernails and although I am proficient at signing checks I rely on my mechanic to get things done. I have had great success in asking questions in this forum to help make sure my mechanic gets it right the first time. So, what are the tricks of the trade to make sure the removal and instillation of a new master and slave are done correctly? What mistakes can be avoided? What type of fluid do you recommend? Thanks.
Is he rebuilding both the brake and clutch master cylinders?

John

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

I'd change over to DOT5 and make sure you bench bleed! Very good choice going stainless. My 2 masters and slave were done by him.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Dot 5 is silicone based and NOT COMPATIBLE with dot 3. You must flush and clean the entire system of all dot 3 in order to change.