318 Water pump & alternator mounting

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
spoilerecw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eakly
State: OK

318 Water pump & alternator mounting

Post by spoilerecw »

Hey guys just picked up a donor 1985 d150 318/727 combo to replace my slant 6 in my 62 d100. My question is that I'm not going to be running any power steering or a/c but the alternator on the 85 is not lined up with the water pump pulley, set too far back. Should I replace the water pump with a unit for like a 69 charger 318? Will that space it right and then get a bolt on water pump alternator bracket for that type setup? Will it flow right for that motor? Anybody deal with this dilemma before? Thanks guys!

Brandon in Oklahoma

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: 318 Water pump & alternator mounting

Post by dodgeboykim »

You either use the 62 water pump/brackets/pulleys or the 85 water pump/brackets/pulleys. Mixing and matching may cause headaches. :thinking :thinking
Possibly Timing cover will be needed from 85. That I am not sure about.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

slick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Tucson/AZ
State: AZ

Post by slick »

Also double check which side the outlet is on. Small blocks had both and it seems like I always get the wrong one..
1963 Crewcab
1965 Crewcab
1968 D-100 Longbed
1948 Dodge Panel Truck
1964 Dodge Polara
1957 Shasta

LC
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by LC »

? did you get the brakets with the engine? in the late 70,s and 80,s the belts were run up around a couple of idler pullies that were apr in the area of the thremosat to run the Ac /water pump thats why it doesn,t line up with the fan the fan was driven off the crank then to the power steering- to make your alt work off the fan if you have a single pulley you may be will have to go to a two belt pulley and use the outer pulley also check that you have the right number of slots on the crankshaft to line every thing up also your rad being a slant 6 the inlet and outlets may not match the 85 water pump on V-8 the change over date on the sides was some time in 1969 also if you can get access to a parts book for the d100 series it will have a section on belt s and differrnt lay outs Hope this Helps LC from PA :study :study :study :salut :salut

spoilerecw
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eakly
State: OK

Post by spoilerecw »

Yes I did buy the whole truck, 85 longbed. So I did get all the brackets, this truck came with a/c and p/s. And all I am going to be running is a alternator. Thanks for all the suggestions. i did find a supplier that has alternator mounting brackets for mounting a alternator to the aluminum water pump, so I'm going to order that and see how everything lines up.

Brandon