3-Speed Shift Arms at Base of Column

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

3-Speed Shift Arms at Base of Column

Post by earlymopar »

I have a 65' series 1 Utiline and am in the process of doing some refurbish work in a few areas. I have the engine and transmission out currently and also want to remove the 3-speed column shift arms at the base of the column (the shift rods from the transmission have already been removed). Nothing I have found clearly explains the removal of the arms from the base of the column in sequence, even the factory shop manual.

The current status is that I have removed the obvious U-bolt which has loosened up the U-shaped bracket that holds the arm assembly to the column. However, the bracket only slides downward (toward the front of the truck) a 1/4" or so and then stops. I can push up on the shifter rod but the bracket will not slide downward any further that it is. Everything is loose and free-sliding so binding seems unlikely. The end of the shaft is roughly flush with the inside edge of the bracket.

Anyone who has done this job recently and has a good method of removal, your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: 3-Speed Shift Arms at Base of Column

Post by my5thmopar »

I think you will find it easier to remove the column. There is a metal cover that you have to remove. There is a pin that you push out to remove arms. Again, you will probably regret trying to refurbish it in the truck.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

my5thmopar wrote:I think you will find it easier to remove the column. There is a metal cover that you have to remove. There is a pin that you push out to remove arms. Again, you will probably regret trying to refurbish it in the truck.
Certainly removing the column would allow everything to be more accessible. But, even with the column removed the same situation exists with the bracket and the rod the bracket is on. Nothing changes in that regard with column removal.

The rod needs to go upward toward the steering wheel enough to allow the bottom hole on the U-shaped bracket to drop past the end of the shaft. Then the end of the bracket can be swung out of the way enough to slide-off the first arm and the split sleeve. At that point, the pin can be driven out and the 2nd arm removed, followed by the bracket sliding off the shaft completely.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

my5thmopar wrote:I think you will find it easier to remove the column. There is a metal cover that you have to remove. There is a pin that you push out to remove arms. Again, you will probably regret trying to refurbish it in the truck.

My apologies 5thMopar. You were right about the pin. From what I could see in the factory shop manual and on my truck, it looked like the split bushing was one-sided and contained the pin such that the pin could not be driven-out until the bracket was moved aside and the 1st arm and split-sleeve were slid off. After messing with it last night and removing lots of caked-on grease, I found the split sleeve has a tiny hole on the side opposite the split. The pin is meant to be driven out from the tiny hole side and then the pin comes out through the split in the sleeve. I did that and everything is apart now. Thanks for your reply and help.

- EM

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

Glad you got it. FYI You can get the spring washers from Ace hardware.