Fuel problem

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
matthew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: nova
State: OH

Fuel problem

Post by matthew »

1968 d100,318 Holley 2280 carburetor.problem is after truck sits for a couple days it is difficult to start,looses prime.new steel and rubber fuel line from tank to carburetor.new fuel pump and filter.carburetor is relatively newer reman.fuel cap is newer vented cap.once you crank on it for a while it finally reprimes it's self and fires up and runs fine.it only seems to do this after sitting for a few days.any ideas.carb leaking down into manifold.sounds funny but almost seems like fuel is being sucked back to tank.often looks like fuel filter doesn't have fuel in it after couple of days.could cap be the issue.thought about leaving it loose for a few days then seeing how it starts.thankyou.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Fuel problem

Post by dodgeboykim »

matthew wrote:1968 d100,318 Holley 2280 carburetor.problem is after truck sits for a couple days it is difficult to start,looses prime.new steel and rubber fuel line from tank to carburetor.new fuel pump and filter.carburetor is relatively newer reman.fuel cap is newer vented cap.once you crank on it for a while it finally reprimes it's self and fires up and runs fine.it only seems to do this after sitting for a few days.any ideas.carb leaking down into manifold.sounds funny but almost seems like fuel is being sucked back to tank.often looks like fuel filter doesn't have fuel in it after couple of days.could cap be the issue.thought about leaving it loose for a few days then seeing how it starts.thankyou.

My guess carb is leaking down. Try disconnecting fuel line to carb and see if fuel bowl is empty after the normal period your talking about. If it is go from there. If it still has fuel look backwards to tank :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

jimharold
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Chelan
State: WA

Post by jimharold »

Hi Matthew,

I have a 68' but with a 2bbl Stromberg carb. Same hard start all summer, then this winter I go to start it every 2 weeks to warm it up and it starts a lot faster than before. My guess was choke. I have fuel in the accelerator well and get good squirts before starting but still cranks longer than I like. Only difference is now the truck is raised in the front to help snow melt leave the bed. A clue as to what the fuel is doing, maybe? Please post with what you find as the fault.

Jimharold

matthew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by matthew »

Well haven't got it all ironed out.fuel tank itself is one problem after deciding to change a brand new looking fuel filter it was full of rust,so pulling tank is next on list.suspect carb is also leaking down.darn Holley's never was a fan 2 or 4 barrel temperamental.yes mine should have had a Stromberg also which I would like to find getting hard to though.can anyone tell me,did the sweptline come with a sock filter in the tank also? Thank you .

matthew
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by matthew »

Also should fuel cap be vented or not for that year truck?

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

matthew wrote:Well haven't got it all ironed out.fuel tank itself is one problem after deciding to change a brand new looking fuel filter it was full of rust,so pulling tank is next on list.suspect carb is also leaking down.darn Holley's never was a fan 2 or 4 barrel temperamental.yes mine should have had a Stromberg also which I would like to find getting hard to though.can anyone tell me,did the sweptline come with a sock filter in the tank also? Thank you .
I have never seen sock on a stock sweptine fuel pickup. I have seen images where some of the new 'Aftermarket' fuel pickups come with a sock though.
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Post by MadMC63 »

I've been experiencing the same problem with a Carter two barrel. Just replaced the carb body with a different one I had lying around and it didn't help.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?