Rebuild. Maybe?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
12Valve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Grand Forks
State: ND

Rebuild. Maybe?

Post by 12Valve »

Some things to know about my truck. Its a 225, with a 2 barrel Carter carburetor.

The other day when I was driving it my fuel gauge got stuck in the half tank position, which caused me to run my truck out of fuel. Stupid mistake I know. But it happened.

Now today the throttle return spring snapped when I was driving it today. Before I had a chance to shut the truck off, I looked down at the tachometer. I kid you not the needle was about to touch 8,000 RPM... After pulling over and replacing the spring, the truck doesn't run how it used to right now. From idle to wide open throttle the truck will die. However if you slowly advance the throttle the truck will get up to 4,500 RPM easily.

Do you guys have any idea of what could have happened?

Thanks

Sprinter
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Nampa
State: ID

Re: Rebuild. Maybe?

Post by Sprinter »

It is possible that when you ran out of fuel some dirt/water/debris was flushed into the carb. It may start running okay after driving it for a while. Usually if something gets into the carb it wont idle properly. Where you say it will get to 4500 rpm I doubt there is any engine damage from over revving.

cadman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Springfield
State: MO

Post by cadman »

Fuel filter? It sounds like the carb fuel bowl is emptying when you get on the throttle. Slowly increasing throttle gives the system time to recover. Sounds like you ran it out of gas, sucked up all the junk in the bottom of the tank, and now it's clogging the fuel filter and restricting the fuel flow to the carb.
Grandpa's '66 W200

If it aint' broke..., I probably haven't fiddled with it.

12Valve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 12Valve »

I ran a compression test to see if I had bent any of the valves. All checked out good

I went over to Napa and picked up a replacement fuel filter, it looked a little dirty, but not too bad.

I tore the carb down an cleaned everything.

Truck runs 100% now, except for when I was taking it on a test drive the lower radiator hose sprung a leak which was a pin hole leak, that sprayed all over the alternator, killing the bearings.

Which wasn't bad considering the life-time guarantee on the alternator from Autozone.

She seems to be happy for now at least

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

Fuel gauge got stuck so you ran out of gas.
Next time you drove it the throttle return spring broke
Then the radiator hose developed a pinhole and ruined your alternator

Sounds like a case of owning an antique to me! :lol:

Last summer I spent a month of weekend work replacing king pins, brake lines, hoses, wheel cylinders, wheel bearings, etc. The first time I took it for a drive after I got it put back together I lost one of the retaining pins for my Hurst shifter linkage and was stuck in 3rd gear until I could pull over and fab up a new one out of a spare paper clip. :banghead
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

12Valve
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 12Valve »

Ready for the kicker, I replaced everything the other day. And drove the truck to work, I live in North Dakota and the truck will start at 0 degrees with no problem.

I get off work around 1 AM, I work at the University Police Department since I had the truck running to warm up with the parking lights on, another officer came up to me and told me that my drivers side rear light is out.

I go to leave, look at the light, and tap it, not much you can do in the middle of the night. I decided anyway that it would be a good idea to take the truck for a drive since no one was out on the roads. I am probably a 1/4 mile from my house when I get pulled over by a city officer. He gets out and asks for my license, registration, walks back to his car for 15 minutes. He comes back with two tickets. One for my tail light being out, (which should have been a courtesy stop, with maybe a warning.) And the other for not having lights to light up the license plate. Both are 10 dollar tickets each, however I had read the section of the vehicle code of our states laws religiously, I called the officer out saying these tickets will be thrown out in court, since my truck isn't violating any laws.

39-21-04. Taillamps.
Every motor vehicle... must be equipped with at least one
taillamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as hereinbefore required, must emit ... state and manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1964, must be equipped with at least two taillamps mounted on the rear, on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, which, when lighted as herein required, comply with the provisions of this section.

My truck is a 63' so I get out of that ticket

39-21-11. Visibility of reflectors, clearance lamps, and marker lamps. (license plate lights are considered marker lights.)
1. Every... assembled prior to January 1,1970, must be measured in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps. Reflectors required to be mounted on the sides of the vehicle must reflect the required color of light to the sides, and those mounted on the rear must reflect a red color to the rear, including the illumination of the license plate.

So needless to say I got out of that one too.

Today I headed to the junk yard to get a new housing, the old one was corroded so badly that the light connector had broken apart. The new housing I got was from a 64'-65'? My old housing was solid rubber one, the new one is fully metal. I cut the rubber housing so that lens would still be supported and trimmed the lip off the metal housing so when I tighten the screws down, the housing gets grounded, and it still retains a watertight seal.

I feel bad for you guys that don't have access to a yard like mine where there is probably 25-30 sweptlines all ripe for the picking.

Macros
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: london
State: SD

Post by Macros »

I went over to Napa and picked up a replacement fuel filter, it looked a little dirty, but not too bad.
สโบเบ็ต เข้าไม่ได้

franktiregod
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Covington
State: GA

Post by franktiregod »

They use that tag light ticket here a lot. I just want to ask them, don't your damn headlights work?
Im memory, Sgt Franklin Stephens Jr
6-16-1986 12-5-2008
Ride it like you stole it among the stars