Possible Axle Swap?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Possible Axle Swap?

Post by Brudog »

Hello all. I know very little about drivelines, but will be taking a class this semester at the local community college that will hopefully have some decent time spent in the shop.

My parts truck has what I am guessing is a Dana 44 with disc brakes and a power steering setup.
Front Differential
Front Differential
I found the following markings on it looking at it from the front:
44-8F (lower right)
2 over 620121 R (lower left)

From rear of differential on upper left: 023 (?)

And the rear end has the following numbers:
From front
340 3 (Bottom Center)
4032374 (Upper Left)
23258 (Lower Right)
6 (Upper Right)
Rearend
Rearend
My questions:
1. Is the Dana 44-8F a decent front axle?
2. Would it be something I could possibly swap into my '68 W200 Crew Cab without much fabrication needed? Adding disc brakes and power steering to my rig would be nice.
3. Any ID help on the rear end using the numbers and pic above?

Thanks in advance for the guidance and info! :usa

PowerMan
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Auburn
State: CA

Re: Possible Axle Swap?

Post by PowerMan »

1. The Dana 44-3f is the same axle used since the late 50s in the W100 and W200 trucks that I have seen. There are different versions. They are good axles.
(57?-58)- large six lug pattern, closed knuckle, drum brake
(59-68)- Standard 8 on 6.5" lug pattern, closed knuckle, drum brake
(69-71) W100- 5 on 5.5" lug pattern closed knuckle, drum brake
(69-71) W200- 8 on 6.5" lug pattern, closed knuckle, drum brake
Newer model Dana 44s are open knuckle. Early versions still had drum brakes but they soon switched to disk brakes in the early/mid 70s. Caster angle does change after 71 which is something to consider if using a 72 and up front axle.

2. I'm a fan of the 8 lug axles mainly for wheel choice but that is up to you. You can easily swap the axles as the leaf spring perch width is the same. I do not know if all the Dodge Dana 44 front axles are the same overall width (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) but they are close. What year is your parts truck?
As for power steering conversions you will have to decide what type of power steering method (power steering gear box vs factory style power assist vs custom fab power steering gear box).

3. That rear axle looks like a 9.25" chrysler.
1962 W100 - NV4500- LU2 winch Looking for a 4BT!
1965 W200 CC 12 Valve P-Pump, HX35/S475, 5x12s, pushrods, 60# springs, 55 DVs, NV4500
1965 D100-> W100 Town Wagon 225 Slant - NP435

Brudog
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Richardsville
State: VA

Post by Brudog »

PowerMan wrote:1. The Dana 44-3f is the same axle used since the late 50s in the W100 and W200 trucks that I have seen. There are different versions. They are good axles.
Newer model Dana 44s are open knuckle. Early versions still had drum brakes but they soon switched to disk brakes in the early/mid 70s. Caster angle does change after 71 which is something to consider if using a 72 and up front axle.

2. I'm a fan of the 8 lug axles mainly for wheel choice but that is up to you. You can easily swap the axles as the leaf spring perch width is the same. I do not know if all the Dodge Dana 44 front axles are the same overall width (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) but they are close. What year is your parts truck?
As for power steering conversions you will have to decide what type of power steering method (power steering gear box vs factory style power assist vs custom fab power steering gear box).

PowerMan - Appreciate the response.

The parts truck has a chassis from the early eighties I believe and the cab is a '68.

Here is a pic of the power steering on it which I am guessing is factory style power assist:
parts truck steering
parts truck steering
Thank you.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

To each their own.... but I wouldn't touch the current axles past
replacing brakes, lines, u-joints, etc..
John :2cents

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Brudog wrote:
PowerMan wrote:1. The Dana 44-3f is the same axle used since the late 50s in the W100 and W200 trucks that I have seen. There are different versions. They are good axles.

PowerMan - Appreciate the response.

The parts truck has a chassis from the early eighties I believe and the cab is a '68.

Here is a pic of the power steering on it which I am guessing is factory style power assist:
parts_truck_steering_1.jpg
Thank you.
That is 72-up Saginaw power steering box, not power assist. One thing not mentioned is an original 68 front axle is a rear steer axle, the later ones like in that picture are front steer. So, swapping axles is not a direct swap, you will need a custom drag-link between your box and knuckle steering arm to make it work.
If your swapping the one in the picture then it will go right in with that power box.
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab