Dash Shifter

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
ShopTruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Woodstock
State: VA

Dash Shifter

Post by ShopTruck »

My truck has an aftermarket B&M shifter with a cable setup to run the 87 linkage shift 727 that is in place. I picked up an OEM dash mounted shifter lever that used a cable. It looks like I can modify the shifter to take the cable or the cable to fit the shifter from the B&M. Has anyone done this? How was the OEM setup done by 68 the cable shift "push button" type 727's were gone right? The only manual I have is early so it has push button diagrams.
1968 D100 Short Bed - 318/727 "Shop Truck"

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Re: Dash Shifter

Post by dodgeboykim »

ShopTruck wrote:My truck has an aftermarket B&M shifter with a cable setup to run the 87 linkage shift 727 that is in place. I picked up an OEM dash mounted shifter lever that used a cable. It looks like I can modify the shifter to take the cable or the cable to fit the shifter from the B&M. Has anyone done this? How was the OEM setup done by 68 the cable shift "push button" type 727's were gone right? The only manual I have is early so it has push button diagrams.

Non push button or Dash Mounted lever style used in 66/67/68 cable shift transmissions are the same as linkage trans used from 69 to whenever. Push button are completely different and lever dash shifter will not work with push button trans. That said the difference between a dash mounted cable shift trans may only be the lever that hooks to shift selector on trans. Your B & M cable should work if you can make necessary changes. Hope this all makes sense. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

ShopTruck
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Woodstock
State: VA

Re: Dash Shifter

Post by ShopTruck »

dodgeboykim wrote: Non push button or Dash Mounted lever style used in 66/67/68 cable shift transmissions are the same as linkage trans used from 69 to whenever. Push button are completely different and lever dash shifter will not work with push button trans. That said the difference between a dash mounted cable shift trans may only be the lever that hooks to shift selector on trans. Your B & M cable should work if you can make necessary changes. Hope this all makes sense. :thinking :thinking
I have several push button cars so I am familiar with that setup. I have a big block and a push button non-park 727 out of a 62 Chrysler sitting in the shed waiting to put in either my 57 Plymouth or my 57 Chrysler. So the shift lever on the dash transmissions were the same as the regular linkage 727 they just had their own lever and mount on the trans end?
1968 D100 Short Bed - 318/727 "Shop Truck"