Three on tree to floor shift

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
PunisherD100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 19067
State: PA

Three on tree to floor shift

Post by PunisherD100 »

Ok so I got a lot of info on converting my truck to a five speed, but I am also considering doing a floor shift conversion for the three speed. Does anyone know of a good kit I can use to make this happen? Also might want a different rear so my 318 doesn't scream so much on the highway. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Three on tree to floor shift

Post by Hobcobble »

PunisherD100 wrote:Ok so I got a lot of info on converting my truck to a five speed, but I am also considering doing a floor shift conversion for the three speed. Does anyone know of a good kit I can use to make this happen? Also might want a different rear so my 318 doesn't scream so much on the highway. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Probably most any conversion kit you'd find at Summit or Jegs would suffice. As for the gears, what
are you currently running? .... 3.91s? If you're not hauling heavy loads or towing, look into some 3.23s
or even 2.94s. :2cents
John

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

If you stick with the 3-on-the-tree...why change it. I rebuilt mine with new bushings. Shifts like new! Craig

hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Alameda
State: CA

Post by hobo »

Not to hijack, but is there a rebuild kit available for the three on the tree shifter?
1967 D-100, /6, 3 on the tree

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

hobo wrote:Not to hijack, but is there a rebuild kit available for the three on the tree shifter?
Not that I could find. Somebody else may know. I used Steele Rubber 32-0342-24 for the grommets. I think I had to sand them down a little. The spring washers for the tree and linkage arm washers came from Ace. I had to drill out the washers since the arms were worn. Craig