Oil pressure in a 360

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
WhiteSpyder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Madison
State: MS

Oil pressure in a 360

Post by WhiteSpyder »

What should the oil pressure gauge read for a 360? When I start my 73truck the gauge reads between 20-40. It has varied from day to day and the ambient temp has been the same. After warm up I see a drop to under 20 while driving and just above 0 at idle @800rpm.

Motor does not seem to be showing any issues and oil and filter were changed a month ago by the PO. Dipstick shows clean oil. Ar the readings I see normal? Do I possibly have a bad sender ?

TIA

MadMC63
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rome
State: GA

Re: Oil pressure in a 360

Post by MadMC63 »

Several things to consider here. Most obvious is an old engine with lots of clearance. Perhaps the PO used an oil that's to thin i.e. 5W30 or worse. Could be as simple as a less that accurate gauge.
1971 Dodge D100
So what's wrong with setting beneath a single pull string incandescent light bulb writing angry letters?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

Put a master gauge on it to eliminate gauge errors. That will give you piece of mind, either your engine is tired or you have gauge problems. My 360 was built with tolerances on the loose end, and 10w40 gives me about a 10 psi jump in oil pressure.

WhiteSpyder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by WhiteSpyder »

I'll try replacing the sender. Any tips on easily getting to it? Being low and behind the Dizy it looks like you have to remove it to get to the sender. Then not much room to work still!

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

WhiteSpyder wrote:I'll try replacing the sender. Any tips on easily getting to it? Being low and behind the Dizy it looks like you have to remove it to get to the sender. Then not much room to work still!

Use a stubby open end wrench. Lay blankets over motor and get comfy, Then remove it. Should be able to do it without dizzy remove-all but if needed do so. Put a rag in dizzy hole so bad things don't fall in. :thinking :thinking
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

WhiteSpyder
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by WhiteSpyder »

Good to know, thanks.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada

Post by dodgeboykim »

dodgeboykim wrote:
WhiteSpyder wrote:I'll try replacing the sender. Any tips on easily getting to it? Being low and behind the Dizy it looks like you have to remove it to get to the sender. Then not much room to work still!

Use a stubby open end wrench. Lay blankets over motor and get comfy, Then remove it. Should be able to do it without dizzy remove-all but if needed do so. Put a rag in dizzy hole so bad things don't fall in. :thinking :thinking

You should still screw a mechanical gauge into block to confirm what pressure is. I have an old oil pressure gauge on a long grease gun flexible hose. Makes it easy to screw into block and is correct 1/4 NPT thread.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.