clutch pedal doesn't return all the way

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
hobo
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Alameda
State: CA

clutch pedal doesn't return all the way

Post by hobo »

The clutch pedal wouldn't come back up all the way without me using my foot to return it, and it was having trouble disengaging all the way, even putting the pedal to the floor. I limped back home and discovered the clutch MC reservoir was empty. I checked the slave cylinder and couldn't see any signs of leaks. At the pedal push rod boot, there seems to be a lot of oil. Am I right to assume that I need a new clutch MC? Does it make sense to go ahead and replace the slave at the same time?
1967 D-100, /6, 3 on the tree

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: clutch pedal doesn't return all the way

Post by 712edf »

It would be a good time to do it all at once, that way you're only "down" once & don't have to repeat the bleeding procedure twice or more. Plus peace of mind.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Get the stainless lined cylinders from John Geidl.

68fish
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: uniontown
State: OH

Post by 68fish »

one more tip. My clutch pedal returned all the way back but it seemed slow. My foot speed letting off the clutch was always a little faster than the pedal could match and it wasnt easy to drive. After spending weeks adjusting the return spring bolt and having no success, I simply hosed the hole assembley ( big return spring and all pivot points) down with parts cleaner, then squirted WD 40 on it. OMG!!!! What a difference. Years of grime, dust, dirt, will cause that linkage to loose its glide!!!!

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The pedal itself is on a big shaft with a brass bushing - the grease in it will solidify and also impede pedal motion.