Dropping oil pan on 440

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
MJRODKUSTOM
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Oakland
State: CA

Dropping oil pan on 440

Post by MJRODKUSTOM »

I need to replace the oil pan gasket and front seals on my 440 in my 71 D100. Since I haven't had to do it before, will I have enough clearance to drop the pan with the engine in place, or will it hit the front axle? Or, do I need to remove the motor mounts and raise the engine a little? Now that I've been driving it, I'm starting to find out where all the different leaks are coming from. Looks like intake/valley pan, valve cover gaskets, and transmission tail shaft seal are next. Thanks

TedWitt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Magnolia
State: TX

Re: Dropping oil pan on 440

Post by TedWitt »

Myself, I would pull the motor and do a gasket job on it.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Honestly, Pull motor, Reseal and replace all frost plugs at the same time. Flush block out with a hose while frost plugs are out.
My truck is younger than me.
66 W100. 70 D 500 , 69 Hiab Speed Loader. 96 Ram 3500 Club Cab Cummin's 5 spd. 97 Ram 1500 Club Cab 5.9 gas auto. 83 W200 LB Propane 360 auto 09 Yammy Rhino 700.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Post by my5thmopar »

dodgeboykim wrote:Honestly, Pull motor, Reseal and replace all frost plugs at the same time. Flush block out with a hose while frost plugs are out.
TedWitt wrote:Myself, I would pull the motor and do a gasket job on it.
X3. This is one of those times where you may regret only doing the pan. It's not that hard to get the engine out of these trucks. Besides this could turn into one of those jobs where after messing around with moving, lifting, squirming, pulling all around...the engine would be out and on the stand. We got the Tee shirt. Craig