detroit 5380 problem

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stockton
State: CA

detroit 5380 problem

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

my '68 W100 has detroit 5380 style u-joints. on the rear driveshaft, the inner u-joint snap rings have galled out grooves in both yokes so that there is .015" to .020" free play now between the cross and the caps. i don't like the idea of the driveshaft banging around that much. i know i should replace the yokes with u bolt style 1410s and use 1410 to 5380 u-joints.

being excessively cheap like i am, i've come up with a less expensive idea. i'm thinking about using some shim stock inside the caps to get rid of the free play and keep the snap rings tight in the grooves they've made. i figure that should tighten up the driveshaft. has anyone ever tried this? if so, how did it work out? thanks

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Re: detroit 5380 problem

Post by marklein »

The only way to be sure that the ujoints center in the yoke is to have good yokes. If it were me, I'd change the yokes. That's the only way to be sure you will not have vibration.

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

The shim stock will probably be too soft and be pulverized by the end of the hardened cross. Much like the steel yoke has been worn away.
Being cheap, one might try filling the groove on the yoke with a weld and grinding it back to spec. Would certainly be better than it is now. Couldn't be worse.

LuckyBaldwin
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Stockton
State: CA

Post by LuckyBaldwin »

thanks guys! you bring up 2 good points i hadn't considered. keeping the u-joint centered and the brass shims getting pounded. welding the cross ends is an idea. i'd need a surface grinder to keep the ends square to the caps, and that's one toy i don't have.... guess i'll bite the bullet and replace the yokes. at least that way it should be fixed once and for all.