69 D200 / 440 build and install

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kenai Peninsula
State: AK

69 D200 / 440 build and install

Post by Prormk »

Ok guys, my dad and I have a 1969 D200 / 2 wheel drive / camper special / 318-4 speed manual. His dad / my grandpa bought it new in 69. We've decided to buy a 440 to build to OEM specs and install it to have a fun summer truck with plenty of grunt. (we live in Alaska)

We would also like to swap to an automatic transmission during this project. So.......questions.

1. Will the truck accept the 440 with the current 318 mounts? We will replace these with new either way.
2. I've researched the forged crank / cast crank anomalies. What automatic transmission is best and with what crank will it mate to? We still have yet to purchase a donor 440 to rebuild.
3. Did the 69 have column shift or dash shift for the automatics?
4. If anyone has build specs / recipe of their 440 that will run on garbage fuel, please share. Our plan is to build the engine to around 9:1 compression.
5. Which year engine would be best setup with cam and heads to best fit our needs?

There's just so much information to learn for our project. I've been spending hours researching and taking notes. Just thought I'd throw this out there to pick the experts brains.

We appreciate any help.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: 69 D200 / 440 build and install

Post by Hobcobble »

Prormk wrote:Ok guys, my dad and I have a 1969 D200 / 2 wheel drive / camper special / 318-4 speed manual. His dad / my grandpa bought it new in 69. We've decided to buy a 440 to build to OEM specs and install it to have a fun summer truck with plenty of grunt. (we live in Alaska)

We would also like to swap to an automatic transmission during this project. So.......questions.

1. Will the truck accept the 440 with the current 318 mounts? We will replace these with new either way.
Frame brackets are OK. You'll need big block engine brackets though....

2. I've researched the forged crank / cast crank anomalies. What automatic transmission is best and with what crank will it mate to? We still have yet to purchase a donor 440 to rebuild.
You'll do best with the 727 Torque/Load Flite tranny.

3. Did the 69 have column shift or dash shift for the automatics?
Column shift.

4. If anyone has build specs / recipe of their 440 that will run on garbage fuel, please share. Our plan is to build the engine to around 9:1 compression.
5. Which year engine would be best setup with cam and heads to best fit our needs?

There's just so much information to learn for our project. I've been spending hours researching and taking notes. Just thought I'd throw this out there to pick the experts brains.

We appreciate any help.

John :salut

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

I'll try to answer #2........ok John beat me to it.

The big block 727 is the transmission you want. I just don't know what length (short vs long) would be best for your situation. And all 440 cranks will work with the automatic, you just need a flexplate & correct torque convertor.

Later heads should have the hardened valve seats for today's junk unleaded gas.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

712edf wrote: The big block 727 is the transmission you want. I just don't know what length (short vs long) would be best for your situation.

Bucky
I'd suggest the longer tail shaft big block 727, as you wouldn't need to come up
with a 2pc shaft and carrier bearing. :idea :2cents
John

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Thanks guys. As with the long tail shaft big block 727, do you guys know if I'll need to custom fab any brackets or mounts?

And with the later model 440 reference for hardened valve seats, what years are you pointing to? Is 78 the last year of the 440?

I'm sure this has been kicked around to death here........power steering. What's the best route?

Thanks

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Or you can install hardened sests on an older set of heads

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Prormk wrote:Thanks guys. As with the long tail shaft big block 727, do you guys know if I'll need to custom fab any brackets or mounts?

I'm sure this has been kicked around to death here........power steering. What's the best route?

Thanks
The existing tail shaft cross member in your truck should be fine as is for the
long tail shaft 727, as this is what would have come from the factory [727 Load-Flite].

The best route for power steering is manual steering... :lol: The original "assist"
units weren't any great shakes and are prone to leaks and "touchy" steering. You
can do a site search for posts having to do with after market power steering systems.
I just think its a lot of work to put one's self through to gain a little more ease. :2cents

John

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Ok, thanks guys.

What year engine would be best to start with for the build, if there is such a thing?

One thing is for sure, I'll have more info and questions....... :thinking

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Earlier 440's had forged cranks. Later 440's had the hardened valve seats for unleaded gasoline. Most any 440 can be built up pretty solid. If you are wanting to get serious & go past 5-600 hp, then your looking at lots of aftermarket components.

For the street, making wise decisions with cam/pistons & heads generally will get you what you want with stock block/crank/rods.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Ok so I just picked up a 1976 440/727 combo from a motorhome that had 53,000 on the odometer for next to nothing. The 727 appears to be a short tail shaft (came from a 1976 Dodge F40). Like I said, I am mechanically inclined, just learning this stuff as I go. Would it be prudent to swap the tail shaft to a long version, or just try to find a long tail shaft 727? Also, from what I have found, the torque flite and load flite names were just sales pitches. Same internals, is this correct?

Also, hose and wiring diagrams would be helpful, as the engine was 'cut loose' from the frame.

Thanks

runcharger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: B.C.

Post by runcharger »

Those MH 727's usually have good guts in them such as 4 pin planetaries etc. If you switch to a long tailshaft try to keep the MH guts if you can. You will have to make sure the splines on the longer tailshaft are the same as the short tailshaft splines. 76 440 will have unleaded heads on it and a pretty good intake setup. The cast crank is just fine in anything other than an all out 600HP application so I think you have a good score there.
BTW: Mopar big block pistons that are advertised as 10-1 compression usually come in at 9-1 measured. So you don't want to order a set of 8-1 or 9-1 advertised pistons as you will end up with a 250HP 440 that gets poor fuel mileage rather than what you really want. Also the cast crank engines use different torque convertors and front balancers than a steel crank engine. So you want to make sure you use the components you have or order the correct pieces.

Sheldon

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Thanks Sheldon.

I guess I could try to keep the short tail shaft 727 and extend the forward driveline to compensate for the lack of distance. I'll have to take a tape measure to it.

I plan on tearing down the engine, cleaning everything, and inspecting everything very well. Then I'll plan the build around my desired compression ratio of 9.5 / 9:1 and head cc.

Is there anywhere I can get a full parts list with Mopar part numbers for the motorhome engine I just picked up?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but have you considered putting a stroker kit in the 318? I believe you can end up with 390 cid or thereabouts, and you would not have to deal with changing everthing else in the truck. New aluminum heads will fill the bill for flow, and you will probably still be under what it will cost to rebuild a 440. Just a thought.

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Marklein, that's very true. I may kick that idea around some more. Although, I do have big block fever pretty badly. I have some cool ideas to make the install look and feel like the truck would've come new in 69 with this set-up.

So I plan on using the stock heads, which I believe are 452's on a 76 440. With a 9:1 compression ratio in mind, I'll CC the heads, then select pistons and head gaskets to fit the bill. When would selecting a camshaft fall into the mix? Again, sorry for the lack of knowledge with the engine details and sequencing. I'm learning, and this is a fun experience.

I have the big block mounting brackets on the 440. So all I will need now is new rubbers to go between the brackets and frame, correct? Did small blocks and big blocks use the same rubbers?

Thanks for the help fellers.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

They use the same rubber insulators.
John

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Thank you John

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Curious where on the peninsula you are?

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

Kenai

PwrWgnDrvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by PwrWgnDrvr »

Is this your truck?
IM002158A.jpg
IM002159A.jpg
Or this?
IM001908A.jpg

Prormk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Prormk »

That's it. The arctic blue 69 with aftermarket rims and tires in the first two pictures. WOW, those are some old pictures. I say old, maybe from 2002/2003? The Home Depot was being built in the background!

Where are you at?
Attachments
It sat here until this spring
It sat here until this spring