Flywheel for 318 Magnum EFI and A745

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
OkieRob
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Edmond
State: OK

Flywheel for 318 Magnum EFI and A745

Post by OkieRob »

Guys, I am putting a 1993 318 Magnum into my 1962 D100 with the 3 speed A745. This truck has been in my family since new and has seen a lot of miles. When my father passed, he had pulled the dead 318 and stored what was left of the clutch parts in the cab (at least I think he did, read on)... There are really two issues, First, the flywheel and Second, whether I have the proper clutch or not.

I did not have a bell, so I got a 1967 cast hydraulic bell, which matches up fine to the Magnum. The transmission mates up fine, with the carrier bearing and all. I've had the tranny freshened up with new syncros, bearings and such. I had the pressure plate cleaned and rebuilt and the disc relined. However, I'm missing a flywheel and cannot figure out the proper flywheel. I am keeping the EFI on the Magnum, so I know I'll need to notch the bell.

First Issue:
I see that there is a difference between the hydraulic flywheels from the LA era and those on later models but I cannot figure out what that difference is exactly. This figures into my plan because I saw a post from Rick Ehrenberg that you could simply sandwich an auto flex plate from the Magnum (which I have from my donor truck) between the crank and the flywheel to make the EFI work. My concern is that this will change the position of the flywheel by the thickness of the flexplate (I didn't measure it, but it's on the order of 1/8 inch). Anyone know whether this will cause any problems?

Second Issue:
The pressure plate housing I have has 12 5/8 on center bolt holes. This seems like it may not be the correct pressure plate for the 318 LA. (But the disc that it was found with has the proper splines for the A745.) Is this the proper pressure plate for the hydraulic flywheel - which I understand to be the 172 tooth one?

Thanks for any input -- my eyes are crossing from trying to find the answers and I simply don't have any confidence that the parts I started out with actually go together!
1962 D100 318 3Tree
In Progress....