Need help finding a cheap 4bbl intake for 318 poly

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
bionikcobra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Overland Park
State: KS

Need help finding a cheap 4bbl intake for 318 poly

Post by bionikcobra »

I am in the process of getting things together, mostly scraping every penny I find out of the gutter, and am stuck on finding an intake manifold and headers for my poly.
I'm not sure if i'm doing a 396 or 402 overbore yet, but I have decided to make it a stroker (the kits available are insane!).

I have seen the 6-pack manifolds and the dual 4's, but I'm not sure what direction to got let alone where to find any other one besides the Weiand.
I'd rather not spend $500, $200-$300 is more my budget
As for headers, same deal, I don't have $700 to spend on pipes. If someone knows where to find a Header kit I can weld=fabulous!
1968 D200 318 Polyspherical

bionikcobra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Need help finding a cheap 4bbl intake for 318 poly

Post by bionikcobra »

I just found a legit "A" engine manifold new for $218!!!!
http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/8007/10002/-1

Look at the instructions on the pages when you search for stuff. I ended up looking for 1958 Fury Parts to find this guy!!!

HOLY CRAP!!!

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Post by Johninky »

Better look at that manifold again before buying.

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: s.jersey
State: NJ

Post by abodyjoe »

only real options i see for an intake are:

stock 2bbl
stock 4bbl
stock dual 4 bbl
weiand 7503
chrysler power alumn 4bbl.

the cast iron 4bbl if patient you may be able to find for a good price.. i just grabbed one for $100

the weiand you may be able to pick up on the cheaper side but i think you'll need to be real patient and lucky.

the others (other then the 2bbl) seem to be high on price anywhere ya look.. who knows maybe you can get real lucky but it sure doesn't look it..

and that link you posed it for a LA motor not a poly.

Last edited by abodyjoe on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

:goodpost :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

bionikcobra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bionikcobra »

It says its fr the A series...

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

Your last attachment doesn't show up. The first link ,as already stated, shows an LA manifold.
I sold all of my sweptline trucks,except the invisible one. I just couldn't stand to see it go!
( )
91w350 CTD
93w250 CTD

bionikcobra
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by bionikcobra »

I'm not sure why the picture won't show, but if you right click and open in a new tab it works.
the picture on the web page is a stock picture and it's the same one for like half the manifolds on the site, but the pdf says specifically that it is for the "A" series heads.
I'm going to call and find out next wee, also might be able to talk to Larry Larson this week sometime about my truck and engine and getting work done.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

I think they are wrong about the "A" application. If you scroll down on that page it shows the engines and years. A 1967-1992 318 is not an A engine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8bSKA ... sp=sharing

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Post by 66patrick »

They are absolutely WRONG asbout that intake fitting a Poly 318. You can immediately see the difference if you put that up alongside a real Poly 318 2- or 4-bbl intake - they are not even close! No way in hell are you going to find a Poly aluminum intake new for that money, anyway. Weiand WAS making a Poly 318 aluminum 4-bbl intake, but their price was over $400 five years ago.

1967 - 1993 318 = "LA" engine family

1966 - earlier 318 = "A" engine family

Poly 318 2-bbl = http://www.ebay.com/itm/Poly-318-V8-int ... 0a&vxp=mtr

LA 318 2-bbl = http://www.ebay.com/itm/72-VARIOUS-DODG ... FZ&vxp=mtr
[b]Patrick - 1969 D300 cab & chassis[/b]

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by abodyjoe »

bionikcobra wrote:I'm not sure why the picture won't show, but if you right click and open in a new tab it works.
the picture on the web page is a stock picture and it's the same one for like half the manifolds on the site, but the pdf says specifically that it is for the "A" series heads.
I'm going to call and find out next wee, also might be able to talk to Larry Larson this week sometime about my truck and engine and getting work done.

the engines they have listed are LA engines. that intake is not fitting a poly motor.

the weiand 7503 is the poly 4bb intake.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-318 ... rD&vxp=mtr

Jimmyv
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wind Gap
State: PA

Post by Jimmyv »

I bought a 4bbl from Chrysler power and installed a fitech EFI system on a rebuilt 318 poly. It started right up and runs well. I'm working some tweaks out. I searched for a 4bbl intake for a while but wasn't able to confirm a poly each time I thought I had one.

bentaxle
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: abingdon
State: VA

Post by bentaxle »

Interested in how the Chrysler Power intake and Fitech combo settles out, I was planning the same set up on my poly to go in the truck I currently am working on. I already have the complete FItech set up and was just waiting to get a little closer to needing it to purchase the manifold. Is that all you have done to the motor, cam,headers, anything else?

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LoveLand
State: CO

Post by DingBat »

the custom "air-gap" style from Chrsyler Power is the *ONLY* 4-BBL intake in current production. PERIOD.

You could hold out hope for an original cast iron unit ..... and hope you pay less than the $600 CP wants for theirs.... and hope it isn't warped or cracked.... and then settle for the vastly inferior cast iron unit compared to the CP unit.

you could hold out hope of finding the old Weiand Single Plane unit they stopped making in the late 90's or early 00's .... and certainly pay as much for it as the CP unit .... for a single plane that will be terrible on anything other than a high RPM "screamer"

Basically - buy the CP ...or bust.

and not because i'm thrilled with only having one option ...but because there really onlu is one option.

At least it's a good instake though. I've followed it's development and the numbers they've posted etc.... and it's a really good intake. but it is pricey.

The only other option, and this is a stretch.... but one I briefly considered... find a welder who is good at brazing...

Cut your 2-BBL intake apart, make a flange, and braze a new riser on. ....and then have a vastly inferior 4-BBL that looks like crap, for maybe no-less money if your welder charges by the hour. I'm a welder, so I considered doing it. But with the performance outcome being a complete shot in the dark, and probably not nearly as good as the CP unit - I've decided to suck it up and buy the CP unit.

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Newberg
State: OR

Post by earlymopar »

This what I'm going to use for a short time before. Offenhauser P-600 Dual plane with my custom 3-2 to single four plenum. Not cheap but its what I had and is one of the better performing manifolds available for a poly.

- EM
Attachments
Manifold.JPG

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

For headers, you are dollars ahead to weld-up a set or modify a set. I did a bunch of research and found that 302 -351 Ford exhaust port center to center distances are very close to the Poly. The only issue was the Poly head flange angle as compared to the Ford. One option is to cut off the Ford flanges and weld them back on at the Poly head angle. The other is to make an adapter to fit between the Ford headers and Poly head which is what I did. This allowed me a bunch of Ford header options. I chose a nice set of full length headers in Stainless. Brand new off of eBay for $200.
Attachments
Engine.JPG

maxmac
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fruita

Post by maxmac »

DingBat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: LoveLand

Post by DingBat »

earlymopar wrote:For headers, you are dollars ahead to weld-up a set or modify a set. I did a bunch of research and found that 302 -351 Ford exhaust port center to center distances are very close to the Poly. The only issue was the Poly head flange angle as compared to the Ford. One option is to cut off the Ford flanges and weld them back on at the Poly head angle. The other is to make an adapter to fit between the Ford headers and Poly head which is what I did. This allowed me a bunch of Ford header options. I chose a nice set of full length headers in Stainless. Brand new off of eBay for $200.

This is where I have landed as well. I will be making a spacer and running Ford headers.

Do you have a blue print or a CAD file for the spacers you made?

abodyjoe
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by abodyjoe »

earlymopar wrote:For headers, you are dollars ahead to weld-up a set or modify a set. I did a bunch of research and found that 302 -351 Ford exhaust port center to center distances are very close to the Poly. The only issue was the Poly head flange angle as compared to the Ford. One option is to cut off the Ford flanges and weld them back on at the Poly head angle. The other is to make an adapter to fit between the Ford headers and Poly head which is what I did. This allowed me a bunch of Ford header options. I chose a nice set of full length headers in Stainless. Brand new off of eBay for $200.
You want to sell a set of those adapters? What was the application for those headers?

earlymopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by earlymopar »

abodyjoe wrote:
You want to sell a set of those adapters? What was the application for those headers?

I have certainly given thought to this but I would need to do a run of several sets to make it worth while. They are not cheap to make but much less in cost than buying a set of TTI Poly headers and then ceramic coating them. If TTI made stainless headers they would likely be $1200. As to fit, I made these to allow my headers to clear the starter and bell housing but not so much as to cause fit issues with the frame. Basically, I tried to place the header collectors in the center of the space between the frame and the engine. These headers are for (ironically) a 65-66 Ford pickup. There are tons of header styles made for the same engine series in many Ford cars and trucks. I simply went with the lowest cost stainless headers that were full length (I really dislike "shorty" headers).

I would be interested in talking further through PM but to make this less of a hassle for me I would like to have someone approach me who has already confirmed 5-10 other Poly owners who want them. Otherwise I am the person spending the time and money and taking the risk that a run of 10 sets could be sold without much effort.

- EM