differential flange gaskets installation

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
cathemoel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ft Worth
State: TX

differential flange gaskets installation

Post by cathemoel »

I have a 1969 A 108 van with a 8 3/4 " differential. Identical gaskets go on both sides of the plate that the brake mechanism is attached to. They are made of thin metal with a ridge around the diameter ( or a groove if viewed from the other side). What I want to know is which way the ridges on the gasket face? Starting on the inside the order the parts go on in is : flange on the differential housing - gasket - brake mounting plate - gasket - finally the axle retainer plate. Is that at all clear? I wouldn't even be asking except that the part used to be a thin paper gasket that was the same on both sides. I guess the paper one was replaced by the directional metal one because it leaked gear oil onto the brakes. Mine did and I ended up driving it that way for too long with oil leaking on the brakes and down the inside of the tires although not excessively. So obviously I want to get it right this time. Any advice would be appreciated.

PwrWgnWalt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Butte
State: MT

Re: differential flange gaskets installation

Post by PwrWgnWalt »

Hope this isn't too late to help...

First, it doesn't matter which way the ridge/groove faces on the metal "shim" gasket (p/n 2881314).
There is one (1) of these per side, and it is located on the outer side of the brake backing plate, between it and the axle retaining cover that gets bolted on. It's the second to last part in the reassembly process.

Then, there is also one foam gasket (p/n 2070933) per side. In reassembling the axle, this foam dust gasket goes on first, behind the brake backing plate.

So, it goes: axle tube / foam gasket / brake backing plate / metal gasket / axle with retainer plate

Here's a picture of the parts, from a vendor from eBay I've had lots of good dealings with: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMT-MOPAR-57-74 ... 0348784205

The oil leak would have been from worn/faulty outer axle seals. Be careful putting the axles in, as this is when the new outer axle seals get ruined (you did put in new seals, right?).
Also, the Fel Pro paper gaskets are still available out there, but use the above parts.

Walt