'65 D100 Rear Differential Servicing

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
hullinger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: wilmington
State: DE

'65 D100 Rear Differential Servicing

Post by hullinger »

I recently purchased a '65 Utiline and started a Build thread about two weeks back. I've since replaced everything in the front brakes to try and solve a pulling to the passenger side. Today I pulled the rear brakes as the pull continues and discovered the shoes on the drivers side coated in grease. Seems the rear axle seal need replacing. That plus the copious amount of silicone shows someone has been in there before me. Anyway, I'm going to pull the rear out this weekend and get it in the garage than pull the axles. This will be my first time servicing a rear differential so I wanted to first reach out to the group for any tips or tricks on doing the job. Got any recommendations on doing the job right the first time?

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
photo 6.JPG

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Re: '65 D100 Rear Differential Servicing

Post by marklein »

If you have a tap and die set, drill and tap the bottom of the housing to a 1/8 pipe tap. Then get the shallowest plug you can get to put in it. That way you can change oil in the future. Remove the axles, change the inner seals, check the bearings, clean and pack them with grease, reassemble and set the endplay. If you have a manual, it should all be outlined in there.