318 crate motor??

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
JunkHead
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: San mateo
State: CA

318 crate motor??

Post by JunkHead »

Hi guys.
Unfortunatly my 1966 5.2l poly 318 is on its last leg. The motor has alway burnt oil and leaked it out the block at the closest oil jacket. Lately the head gasket has really blown through and its to the drawing board. My biggest issue is i have put a good amount of accessories on to the 66 that i would still like to use. Like a new distributor, alternator, starter, carb, ect. So i have a few options, 1-buy a used motor. 2- rebuild mine 3- crate motor. Id like to buy a used motor but its not the easiest tast to find the exact replacement. So my question is, what years and motors will swap into my truck? are there resonably priced crate engines. Btw its the 4 speed manual.
Thanks for you help!
Btw this would be my first engine swap.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: 318 crate motor??

Post by wally426ci »

Can you get a reman engine from an autoparts store? Other than finding a good used motor to swap....

Noelie84
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Wales
State: ME

Post by Noelie84 »

Does anybody even still do new Poly crate motors? Seems like the only ones I ever see advertised anymore are LA motors... :thinking

If you're going to go with a used crate, you're basically rebuilding an engine anyway. Seems like it'd make more sense to rebuild your own (unless it's beyond rebuilding due to a cracked block, excessively warped head, etc).
:2cents
1969 D100 w/an A833 & a 318
1984 W150 w/a 7.5 Fisher Speedcast, an NP435 & a slant six (because slow but unstoppable!)

olypopper
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Fairbanks
State: AK

Post by olypopper »

Rebuild it and while you are at it, put a good cam in like a Camcraft and hunt for an intake on Ebay or Craigslist........Stan's is selling headers for Polys so go for it!
1966 Dodge D200 Camper Special, Poly 318, automatic.