Grand Cherokee Axle Swap

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bakersfield
State: CA

Grand Cherokee Axle Swap

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

I'm swapping out my tapered axle for a 98 Grand Cherokee rear end with the disc brakes. I've searched and haven't found any write ups on doing it, and was curious if anybody knows where I can get some feedback or write ups. I'm more concerned with how they ran their brake lines.
Thanks in advance

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: Grand Cherokee Axle Swap

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

Has anybody done this?

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

I can't think of a reason it shouldn't work, driveshaft length may change, as long as the overall width isn't too far out, the brakes would be the least of my concern. Keep us posted.

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

Actually I'm doing this right now, and everything is working out remarkably perfect. I have now removed off all the original Cherokee brackets and have welded the new perches on, and everything is perfect, the only thing I see is the U-Joints and U-joint straps may need to be used from the Cherokee.? :thinking

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

If you have a good driveline shop near, call them and see if there is a crossover joint that will mate your driveshaft to the cherokee diff. If not, you're making a driveshaft.

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asheboro
State: NC

Post by dasbulliwagen »

The rear axle from a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee is not a desireable axle in either of its forms. The Dana 35 and the Dana 44A are both weak choices when you are looking to upgrade anything. Neither will stand up to much abuse. The 44A is an aluminum housing Dana 44 and is much weaker than a cast iron or steel Dana 44. If youre only doing it for disc brakes there are better choices out there that have the same bolt pattern and similar width. In the Jeep community the Ford 8.8 from a later Explorer is equipped with disc brakes and has available limited slip and is MUCH stronger than the 98 ZJ axle youre installing. Im not sure what you want your end result to be though, so this is just FYI and trying to help. Good luck.

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

Thanks for the help. I am actually an early mustang fanatic, and have several 8" rear ends sitting on the side of my house which were an option, but I wanted disc brakes, I also went against the explorer rear end due to it being too small for one, and it being an off set driveline and is more trouble than it's worth. I picked this axle up for $100, sold the original for $50, and was well worth the cost and labor to have a limited slip, disc brakes, and a perfect fit with little modification other than the removal of the original brackets and had to order the Cherokee ubolt. Lastly, lol, I am only running the original 225 slant six, which is not going to exceed any torque or HP for that axle. I do plan to later install an EFI V8, but again, my engine choice isn't going to exceed the limit; I build my mustangs for performance.

dasbulliwagen
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Asheboro
State: NC

Post by dasbulliwagen »

Dont confuse the 8.8 and 8 inch rear ends. they are different animals. The Explorer 8.8 is actually a couple inches narrower than the Grand axle. I understand you should be fine but just wanted you to have all the info. Which Grand axle do you have by the way? The 44 or the 35? Just wondering.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Brookfield
State: MA

Post by swptln »

Wouldn't it just be easier to put disc's on your 8 3/4"? As mentioned the only rear from a Jeep that I would consider would be the Chrysler 8 1/4" for strength. :2cents
Mark D.

61-71 Dodge Truck Association
http://www.sweptlinesunlimited.com

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

It's the DANA44 steel.
I got the axle for so cheap, any disc brake kit would cost far more than what I paid. The original was the tapered design and sucked it from the back, so I sold it. This axle will far exceed my setup in the strength department.

loosewrenchcowboy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: detroit, mi
State: MI

Post by loosewrenchcowboy »

I am not sure why it happens, but the grand cherokee rear axles, particularly if its from a 4.0L model seem prone to burning up(i assume thats the dana 35, i assume the v8 grands have the 44). I parted out 2 grands, a zj and a wj, and had a lot of calls for a 4.0 rear axle.

Just an fyi

Not sure if it would even fit a dodge, but a few months ago i got an explorer 8.8 with disc brakes and posi at the pick a part junk yard for 125$, in case anyone else is considering the swap(i understand its a little too late for this project, just throwing it out there)

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

just use the discs from the GC axle - they should bolt up to your 8 3/4 axle but you may need to switch to the green bearings.

google it - someone did it already and put a great how-to out there somewhere.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

here's a few photos (note - the 8.25 chrysler axle uses the same backing plate bolt pattern as an 8 3/4 and GC)

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/zj-r ... th-607435/
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

I don't think you could get around the tapered axles thou? Right? That was the main purpose for me.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

What size rotors do the Jeeps use? Looks like there only 9"......kind of small for a full size truck, no?
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

HAIRYBIKINI wrote:I don't think you could get around the tapered axles thou? Right? That was the main purpose for me.
you could probably switch out the axles with later sweptline truck axles and use the jeep backing plate on your housing. "measure twice cut once".
Custom Sports Special
R E G I S T R Y

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

swptln wrote:What size rotors do the Jeeps use? Looks like there only 9"......kind of small for a full size truck, no?
I believe you are correct with the 9". These are plenty big, my tundra is similar in size. The truck will be used more for crusing than utility anyways. This is mile stones better than the original old drums all around, with a single master cylinder. It may not excelerate fast but it sure will stop fast!

HAIRYBIKINI
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by HAIRYBIKINI »

CSS-Registry wrote:
HAIRYBIKINI wrote:I don't think you could get around the tapered axles thou? Right? That was the main purpose for me.
you could probably switch out the axles with later sweptline truck axles and use the jeep backing plate on your housing. "measure twice cut once".
I think I came out with the cheapest and least amount of labor.

swptln
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by swptln »

HAIRYBIKINI wrote:
swptln wrote:What size rotors do the Jeeps use? Looks like there only 9"......kind of small for a full size truck, no?
I believe you are correct with the 9". These are plenty big, my tundra is similar in size. The truck will be used more for crusing than utility anyways. This is mile stones better than the original old drums all around, with a single master cylinder. It may not excelerate fast but it sure will stop fast!
I hope your right, but I would think your pickup weighs a good 2000 lbs. more than a Cherokee........
Mark D.

1968 W200 Sweptline
1969 D100 Utiline
1993 D250 Club Cab

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

swptln wrote:
HAIRYBIKINI wrote:
I hope your right, but I would think your pickup weighs a good 2000 lbs. more than a Cherokee........
A 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee weighs 3,582 to 3,740 lb according to Google. That is what a D100 weighs.