Grinding Gears

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Inwood
State: Foreign

Grinding Gears

Post by Cody100 »

So I tried to go for a ride this afternoon and when I went to leave I couldn't get my truck in gear. I tried 1st, 2nd and 3rd and each time it was grinding pretty bad, I could force it in but that made my heart hurt just a bit. I also noticed that even when I had the clutch right to the floor when I was putting pressure on the stick the truck started to roll... So my question is what could be the issue and where do I start to look?
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

allsupj
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Hayden
State: ID

Re: Grinding Gears

Post by allsupj »

'66 so it has hydraulic clutch. Bleed the clutch.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Definitely a hydraulic issue. Make ure the master and shave are not leaking also.

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cody100 »

I've been browsing the forums looking for help on bleeding/servicing the clutch but all the posts I've come across are a little bit over my head, technically and mechancally speaking. Does anyone have a good link to clutch service for dummies? :lol:
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Its similar to bleeding brakes, have a friend help you.

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Doug told me a method once that worked well. It involves filling the reservoir and then you put the bottle under the truck with a hose from the open bleeder into the bottle of fluid. This draws fluid while you pump. I'll try to find the post. It worked well for me at the time.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

Here is the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19295&p=179628&hil ... ch#p179628

And make sure you bench bleed the master before installing. It really is crucial. Bench bleeding involves working it on top of the bench and getting all bubbles out.

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cody100 »

Thank you very much.
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

mopardwh
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Longview
State: TX

Post by mopardwh »

Good luck Cody. Any more questions ask away, this forum is really excellent for getting help.
Doug

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cody100 »

I think I figured out the problem, I crawled under my truck the other day to get a soccer ball and i saw that the slave was wet. I had my son pump the clutch a few times and oil started leaking out rather quickly, the clutch is also very easy to press now. Is the slave serviceable with a seal or rebuild kit or do I need to look for a new one?
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

I believe you can service them. I will say that having it sleeved with stainless is a great option. I send my stuff to John Geidl in the midwest. For now if you are on a budget, you can get them fairly cheap at NAPA and the like.

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cody100 »

Great! Thanks Wally
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cody100 »

Probably worth while to check the whole system? If the master is working fine should I just leave it or take the oportunity to do some maintence? Normally I go with the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but my mom always said "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Cody100 wrote:Probably worth while to check the whole system? If the master is working fine should I just leave it or take the oportunity to do some maintence? Normally I go with the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" but my mom always said "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
Check the clutch master for signs of leakage in the engine compartment
and also inside the cab on the firewall where its mounted. I would say if
you can't see any signs of trouble, replace the slave cylinder, bleed the
system out and go from there. :2cents :Thumbsup
John

RussRoth
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Vancouver, WA

Post by RussRoth »

IMHO you would be far better to replace both master and slave. I have been around mine from day 1 and if you forget to change fluid even remotely regular (like me) you get maybe 5 or 6 years out of both of them. Trust me when I say nearly 100% of the time if one is bad the other is not far behind. Hence I am currently in the process of changing mine out today. I got the master in before it hit 100* and way past time to quit. :pale :pale :pale Maybe finish tomorrow if I get to it early AM. The good part is in '95 I bought lifetime replacement from Schucks which O'reilley now owns. I have all the paperwork since then too and they stood behind the warranty so I got my 112 bucks back. :dance :clap Thumbs up to them although the counter guy said that was part of the deal. BTW, he was quite impressed I had all receipts and they were in such good shape. I just told him I had acquired a 4 drawer file cabinet at some point and I have a file from when I rehabbed the rig with a stack of receipts over 2" thick. :banghead :banghead :thinking
RR
Vancouver, WA

'67 W200/450 CID
AA OD/SM465/205
PTO winch
4.10 powerlock
8R19.5 tires

Cody100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Cody100 »

Alrighty gentlemen we just had a long weekend and what better time to be working on your swepty? I purchased a new master and slave from Piston Ring for about $120.00 including brake fluid and some shop rags. Then I spent a glorious day tinkering in the garage :Thumbsup The first problem I came across was my hydraulic lines were seized to the nuts, they came loose from the slave and master but the whole line wanted to twist with it. I ended up having to cut it off at either end so that I could get the nut out without ruining the entire line. Lukily I had a flare tool collecting dust on the shelf that finally earned its keep. The second problem was the master cylinder did not come with a hose for bench bleeding, after some searching I was able to make use of the junk in my garage and bleed the master with it bolted to the fire wall. After that it was a simple matter to bleed the slave and oh boy did it feel good to have a stiff pedal again!
Attachments
Master Resize.jpg
Slave Resize.jpg
Cody

1966 D-100 Custom

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »