And the rest of the oil is where?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
PickupPete65
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dover
State: NJ

And the rest of the oil is where?

Post by PickupPete65 »

I changed (or maybe not) the motor oil AND the oil filter in my '65 D100 with 318 V-8. So I open the drain plug and only about two quarts of oil drains out from the pan, and maybe another quart (or less) comes out with the filter. And yes, PRIOR to beginning this, the dipstick read FULL. Refill required only about three quarts to fill to FULL on the dipstick. Very confusing, any thoughts anyone?

gww
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: falcon
State: CO

Re: And the rest of the oil is where?

Post by gww »

add two more qts. and remark dip stick.
777s on all that have and all that do protect our freedoms.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

PickupPete65 wrote:I changed (or maybe not) the motor oil AND the oil filter in my '65 D100 with 318 V-8. So I open the drain plug and only about two quarts of oil drains out from the pan, and maybe another quart (or less) comes out with the filter. And yes, PRIOR to beginning this, the dipstick read FULL. Refill required only about three quarts to fill to FULL on the dipstick. Very confusing, any thoughts anyone?
Wrong dipstick?

PickupPete65
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dover
State: NJ

Post by PickupPete65 »

Wrong dipstick? If it were only that simply. As I stated, only about three quarts came out and the same amount (only about three quarts) went back in to reach the FULL mark on the dipstick. Although the filter and oil have been "changed" the oil appears to be old as it is still quite black/dirty in color. This being the case, it makes me think all of the old oil is not draining out of the engine for whatever reason. So it seems like something more complex may be going on......?

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

PickupPete65 wrote:Wrong dipstick? If it were only that simply. As I stated, only about three quarts came out and the same amount (only about three quarts) went back in to reach the FULL mark on the dipstick. Although the filter and oil have been "changed" the oil appears to be old as it is still quite black/dirty in color. This being the case, it makes me think all of the old oil is not draining out of the engine for whatever reason. So it seems like something more complex may be going on......?

Time to drop the pan , Have a look and clean it out. Simple and cheap.
:thinking