Help with '69 D100 318

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Atlas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Elizabethton
State: TN

Help with '69 D100 318

Post by Atlas »

Greetings - glad I found you guys.

Maybe you can help me. I have a 69 D100 inherited from my wife's grandfather that has seen a bit of neglect.
I have good spark and fuel flow (after changing out the nasty filter) and it will start on fluid, but not run.
Before spending any money on a replacement carb, or getting in over my head rebuilding mine, what are my other options?
A 4-bbl and new intake looks economical to do, but if I'm not doing cam or exhaust, is it worth it?
Looks like a rebuilt Carter is <$200, vs intake/carb setup $500 or so(??)

Thoughts?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Help with '69 D100 318

Post by Hobcobble »

Is the engine acting like its starving for fuel? Perhaps you could buy a jiffy kit
and throw it into the carb. :idea :2cents That would probably set you back
about $15. You are sure the fuel pump is sending ample fuel to the carb, correct?
John

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Fuel tank crudded up with rust and goop. Restricted fuel line to fuel pump. Hooped fuel pump from crud. The mentioned carb, Maybe stuck float/needle. Do you have a fuel filter between the tank and fuel pump to remove the cruddy bits before they screw up pump.

Atlas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Atlas »

After installing the new filter, it filled quickly while cranking, and that's all I have to go on for fuel flow.
What's a Jiffy kit?
Don't know about float etc. Carb work (other than replacement) may be beyond me.
Don't doubt the gas tank has internal corrosion issues. Can this be addressed in place or does it have to come out?

Txas2step
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: houston
State: TX

Post by Txas2step »

Atlas wrote:After installing the new filter, it filled quickly while cranking, and that's all I have to go on for fuel flow.
What's a Jiffy kit?
Don't know about float etc. Carb work (other than replacement) may be beyond me.
Don't doubt the gas tank has internal corrosion issues. Can this be addressed in place or does it have to come out?

Jiffy is the basic rebuild kit. If you are not comfortable with rebuilding it , maybe find a local shop to do it. Easy to rebuild but you have to make sure all the parts are back in the same spot. Yes you will have to remove the tank, again not hard to do. Most likely the bowl has sediment and parts stuck. :Thumbsup
61 shorty 170/ 3spd 3:91(sold)
66 lwb 318 poly/727/4:10 (sold)
67 shorty 318poly/4spd 3:55
68 ute 318/3 spd/3:55(sold)
70 318/727/3:23
66 d200 225/4spd/4:10( military)(sold)
68 d100 383/727/3:55

oklamopar
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Midwest City OK
State: OK

Post by oklamopar »

By the looks of the fuel in the new filter, i would most likly start with fresh fuel in a can sitting on the ground with new hose, Bypass all the factory lines until you clean them. pull needle and seat to make sure fuel can flow past. if it runs good and engine sounds good, after it runs awhile and warms up. Then I might consider the manifold and carb.
Those 2 bbl's are good, have had them on /6's and la318's.
Later,
Skip

When I'm driving my truck, I'm like a dog. I circle around three times before I lay it down, then I growl before I go to sleep. :salut
So here's to you...

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Edgewater Park
State: NJ

Post by Jims68 »

It's likely that the Float and needle valve inside the carb is stuck in the UP position, OR just CLOGGED in the needle valve with "gunk". This would allow the truck to start (with starting fluid) but NOT keep running. Personally, I would stick with the Carter BB 2 barrel carb and buy a kit for it rather than buying a new intake and carb which could get into more 'issues'. There SHOULD be a metal tag on your carb... take that number to a parts store OR NAPA dealer. For my truck (which has a 1970 318) I used NAPA Part Number CRB 25480A

I think your float is stuck and this won't allow any gas into the carb. Even though you have fuel flow to the new filter...

Shoot me your email and I can send you a PDF of the Carter 2BBL diagram. They are really easy to rebuild (at least for me it was easy).
Jim

Sweptline Restoration CD page: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1489

Atlas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Atlas »

Thanks for the excellent info.
PM sent for manual.

Will update when it's running.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jims68 wrote: Shoot me your email and I can send you a PDF of the Carter 2BBL diagram. They are really easy to rebuild (at least for me it was easy).
Jim,
Send him one for a Stomberg WW2. :idea :2cents :Thumbsup
John

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Hobcobble wrote:
Jims68 wrote: Shoot me your email and I can send you a PDF of the Carter 2BBL diagram. They are really easy to rebuild (at least for me it was easy).
Jim,
Send him one for a Stomberg WW2. :idea :2cents :Thumbsup
John

John... our trucks weren't built in WWII.... :lol:

I only had the PDF for a Carter. I didn't look that close at the carb... is that a Stromberg???
Jim

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jim,
I do believe it is. :Thumbsup
John

Jims68
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jims68 »

Carter PDF won't do much good then... Oh well, I am guessing you could "maybe" find a PDF view of the Stromberg online???
Jim

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

I don't see a vacuum line attached to the choke diaphragm.

coelcanth
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by coelcanth »

that's a stromberg ww2,
i have the same carb on my '69 D100 with 318..

mine is running pretty good but leaking fuel so I picked up a rebuild kit ($22) from these guys:
http://www.ebay.com/usr/carbjunkys

looks like a pretty thorough package. haven't installed it yet, though, since it's running like a top for now.

the fuel in the filter does look pretty brown so seems like good advice to bypass the tank completely and run with fresh fuel from a jar.

is there supposed to be a vacuum pulloff for the automatic choke ?? i'm not sure because mine was swapped out for a manual cable choke

digdoug
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by digdoug »

You say it will start ,but not run. Does it fire while cranking,but die as soon as you let off the key? :thinking

Atlas
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Atlas »

Well, thanks for all the help, guys, but I may have screwed the pooch.

I was trying again to see if she would start and POOF! we've got flames! Got it out out without too much damage, but I've now decided against trying to re-build the existing carb.
Have ordered a new intake manifold and Holley 600 carburetor, and will tear into this when I have some time - probably after Thanksgiving.
I realize that the fuel pump and tank corrosion issues still need to be addressed, and we also have some other driveability issues - such as brakes - that have moved to the front burner. <- bad pun

The good news is that a friend of mine turns out to be quite the local Mopar guy, and wants to help me figure out parts and maybe wrench on it a bit.

So thank you all again for your brain power, and stand by for more dumb questions - hopefully no more flames - and maybe at the end some nice pics of a really cool old truck.

Mopar1968
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Athens
State: AL

Post by Mopar1968 »

Can you send a picture of the ore side of your carb and motor? I have a 68' with 318 and need to figure out how the kickdown linkage is supposed to go on a two barrel setup.
Thanks

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

Mopar1968 wrote:Can you send a picture of the ore side of your carb and motor? I have a 68' with 318 and need to figure out how the kickdown linkage is supposed to go on a two barrel setup.
Thanks
This how I did it, used a piece of mounting bracket from an Edlebrock carb, cut and drilled a hole so the Carter would work properly with the AT. FSM pic is for a Stromberg. You also don't need that much carb (600) for a stock 318.
Attachments
Stromberg
Stromberg
Carter
Carter
Carter
Carter

moparbay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Rapid City
State: SD

Post by moparbay »

It sounds like you have already decided to replace the carb but i just had the same issue and it ended up being clogged jets. I am guessing PO tried running some ethanol after sitting for years and it loosened all the old crap in the tank/lines and clogged everything up. Regardless of the cause internal to the carb, a rebuild would fix all of them. But then again, i have been known to throw new shiny parts at stuff that a rebuild could fix or some stuff that wasn't even broken (Think EFI). If nothing else, after replacing stuff, i love to tear the old stuff apart just to get a better understanding of what is going on in there. :salut
moparbay

Ole "Blue" 68 D100 Adventurer
65 W100
67 D400
67 W100 (in pieces)
69 D100 converted to 4x4 (SOLD)