high oil pressure, blowing oil out dip stick tube.

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Phoenix
State: AZ

high oil pressure, blowing oil out dip stick tube.

Post by Jake66 »

my 360 is blowing oil out of my dipstick tube. i have two oil breather caps that connect to a tee and go to the back of my carb. yet she still blows oil. what configurations do you guys use and have you ever had to deal with this same issue? its not continuous, just once i get cruising at high way speeds
1966 Dodge D100 Custom SC SWB
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Re: high oil pressure, blowing oil out dip stick tube.

Post by nytemuvr »

PVC on one valve cover to carb, breather on the other valve cover without vacuum, open. Not saying that's your problem, is it like puking out oil or just dribbling down the tube?
Attachments
Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

gww
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: falcon
State: CO

Post by gww »

are you able to do a compression test?
777s on all that have and all that do protect our freedoms.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

i havent done a compression test yet, but its like its just spraying out. it will get up to the cap on the tube and then spray out almost like a spray bottle. i just did an oil change and put in a higher quality oil so ill see what happens. im also picking up a new pcv valve. ive got plenty of breather caps laying around from trying to fix the issue. like 5 or 6.

:thinking it blew smoke for a little out the driver side exhaust but i ran marvel mystery oil through it and did the oil change and it stopped. any ideas are welcome. thanks guys :salut
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Jake66 wrote:i havent done a compression test yet, but its like its just spraying out. it will get up to the cap on the tube and then spray out almost like a spray bottle. i just did an oil change and put in a higher quality oil so ill see what happens. im also picking up a new pcv valve. ive got plenty of breather caps laying around from trying to fix the issue. like 5 or 6.

:thinking it blew smoke for a little out the driver side exhaust but i ran marvel mystery oil through it and did the oil change and it stopped. any ideas are welcome. thanks guys :salut
No need to get a new PVC valve, soak it with solvent so the check ball inside moves and just soak your breather also. It sounds more than just that, a compression check will give a more definitive answer. A leak down test would be better.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

how do i do a leak down test? thats a new one for me.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jake66 wrote:how do i do a leak down test? thats a new one for me.
Step One: Drink lots of water.... :joker

Try this:
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/11 ... wn_tester/
John

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

hahaha thanks john, ive figured out a similar way to do it with a compression tester. i rotate the fan to bring up pressure as i bring the piston up to top dead center then hold it to see if it bleeds out. is that basically the same thing?
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

nytemuvr wrote:
Jake66 wrote:i havent done a compression test yet, but its like its just spraying out. it will get up to the cap on the tube and then spray out almost like a spray bottle. i just did an oil change and put in a higher quality oil so ill see what happens. im also picking up a new pcv valve. ive got plenty of breather caps laying around from trying to fix the issue. like 5 or 6.

No need to get a new PVC valve, soak it with solvent so the check ball inside moves and just soak your breather also. It sounds more than just that, a compression check will give a more definitive answer. A leak down test would be better.

what do i soak the oil breather valve with? whats your recommendation?
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Jake66 wrote:
nytemuvr wrote:

what do i soak the oil breather valve with? whats your recommendation?
Aerosol brake cleaner, acetone, or go old school and use gas.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

Jake66 wrote:hahaha thanks john, ive figured out a similar way to do it with a compression tester. i rotate the fan to bring up pressure as i bring the piston up to top dead center then hold it to see if it bleeds out. is that basically the same thing?
Basically, sorta....You'll probably will be able to get a good idea what's going on with just a compression test....do it when it's up to operating temperature.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

nytemuvr wrote:
Jake66 wrote:hahaha thanks john, ive figured out a similar way to do it with a compression tester. i rotate the fan to bring up pressure as i bring the piston up to top dead center then hold it to see if it bleeds out. is that basically the same thing?
Basically, sorta....You'll probably will be able to get a good idea what's going on with just a compression test....do it when it's up to operating temperature.[/quote/]

so once i get it back tonight ill pull a plug at a time and do the check. would i soak the breather valves even if they are pretty fresh?
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Jake66 wrote:what do i soak the oil breather valve with? whats your recommendation?
You could use kerosene.
John

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

If they're new and clean, you're good. White or blue-tinted smoke from the exhaust?

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

Its super faint. I cant see it during the day I have to use a light at night to see it. Its almost like its running rich. When it smoked before I did an oil change it was blowing white
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

so i did a compression test on all the cylinders while the motor was hot. all cylinders held and i had very little leak down.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

gww
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: falcon
State: CO

Post by gww »

what were each cly readings? wet or dry?
777s on all that have and all that do protect our freedoms.

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

dry? wet? i got 167-170. my motor is also out of a 78 motor home if that helps diagnose the issue.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

Jake66
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Jake66 »

i took my readings with the engine off. all i did was crank the fan over till i hit bottom on the cylinder then i brought the cylinder up for the compression stroke to test pressure and bleed off.
Bermuda Turquoise
And
White

kurt
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Meridian
State: ID

Post by kurt »

What kind of compression gauge did you use. 167 seems high for just cranking it from BDC to TDC by hand. Normally you use the starter with the carb wide open and bump the needle a few times (dry). Then you add a few squirts of oil to the cyl (wet) and do it again. If that reading is much higher that means your rings are bad. If it stays the same but is low its valves. If it's the same and good there is no issue.

Also compression gauges have one way Schrader valves. How did you do the leak down.

Kurt
1965 D200 Crew 5.9L MPFI/A518