carb cold weather pumpshot issues

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
moparman336
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: canada
State: Foreign

carb cold weather pumpshot issues

Post by moparman336 »

hey just wondering what some of you guys are running for a 4 barrel carb that works decent in the winter time. on a couple of my trucks i run the holley truck avenger carb with electric choke. my issue is when its cold out the accelerator pump shot mechanism always seems to be stiff. there is no actuation and thus no fuel shot for startup. i only have the problem when its below zero. if i plug the truck in for a bit it warms the carb up and i have no problem. but this time of year its to warm out to justify plugging the truck in lol. i used to have thermoquads on the trucks and they were always good no matter what the temp but the throttle shafts started to wear out so i decided to upgrade. i always run shell premium fuel, non of that ethanol crap.
just wondering what someone may reccomend for a good cold weather carb, im in the market to buy something that works better. or a possible solution to solve the issue, otherwise its a very good carb.
thanks
67 D300 fargo 318 4 speed
68 W200 fargo 360 4 speed 38.5" boggers
68 W200 crewcab 360 4 speed 42" tsl's
70 D100 Dude /6 4 speed

moparman336
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: carb cold weather pumpshot issues

Post by moparman336 »

i guess no one runs a 4 barrel in cold climate?
70 D100 Dude /6 4 speed

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Years ago when I had a running truck, I'd start it about once a month during the winter. It had an Edelbrock 1406 carb and always started. It was parked in a garage and I'd start it on warmer days.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

moparman336 wrote:i guess no one runs a 4 barrel in cold climate?
Others might run one, but have no issues? :thinking
If plugging the truck in alleviates the situation, then perhaps
that's enough justification to continue that practice until its
"officially" warm enough? :idea :thinking :2cents
John

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

Not sure why theres no pump action I run my truck year round and have no choke I just pump the foot pedal and she comes to life never had that problem.The black diaphrams tend to go bad with todays fuels the green ones are for alcohol and last with the blended fuels now a days.
Sweptline Owner From Age 16 to Present

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

moparman336 wrote:hey just wondering what some of you guys are running for a 4 barrel carb that works decent in the winter time. on a couple of my trucks i run the holley truck avenger carb with electric choke. my issue is when its cold out the accelerator pump shot mechanism always seems to be stiff. there is no actuation and thus no fuel shot for startup. i only have the problem when its below zero. if i plug the truck in for a bit it warms the carb up and i have no problem. but this time of year its to warm out to justify plugging the truck in lol. i used to have thermoquads on the trucks and they were always good no matter what the temp but the throttle shafts started to wear out so i decided to upgrade. i always run shell premium fuel, non of that ethanol crap.
just wondering what someone may reccomend for a good cold weather carb, im in the market to buy something that works better. or a possible solution to solve the issue, otherwise its a very good carb.
thanks
Holleys are crap....IMO, get an Edlelbrock or Carter TQ or AVS.

moparman336
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by moparman336 »

thanks for the replies, i ended up buying a 4160 series holley so i will try my luck at that. i have an edelbrock on my other truck that i scored at a pick n pull for $10 and it always seems to have drivability problems, but i dont drive it that often. every carb has its quirks.
70 D100 Dude /6 4 speed