727 rebuild

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
rockingkay
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Lake City
State: FL

727 rebuild

Post by rockingkay »

I watched a video on rebuilding a 727 trans and it looked somewhat easy. So I was thinking about giving it a shot. Has anyone on here done one of these? I got the trans broke down and I know it will need bands and friction disks. But I think I was having a problem in the valve body as it was sticking in third after coming to a complete stop. I was having to manually pull the shifter to low to start off, and I totally lost second. Now the valve body scares me a little. But I was thinking of getting one with a shift kit in it from summit. What do ya think? Have I lost my mind or can this be done? This trans is in my 4x4 Ramchager if it make a different, but I figured a 727 was a 727.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Re: 727 rebuild

Post by nytemuvr »

I've done it after a couple of pointers from a transmission shop owner, intimidating, but doable. Get some good instructions as in a FSM. If you can put a shift kit in it, you should be able to, but I don't know your mechanical abilities. Just do it on a clean table and take pics as you go. Wish I had the pic options when I learned. Sounds as though you have some sticky valve problems, short diagnosis.

my5thmopar
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Columbia
State: TN

Re: 727 rebuild

Post by my5thmopar »

Nothing to it. I did a 904 using the YouTube videos. 4 hours to get it back together. I was always afraid to tackle one but, it was very easy. You're going to need a special tool ( I just used c-clamps and a big washer) for the clutch packs. There isn't anything to the valve body, just disassemble it in a large "clean" drain pan. You have to take it completely apart, I mean everything since the crud finds it way in every crack. Put a rag over the shifter spring/ball so you don't shoot it across the shop. Have fun and enjoy the pride of doing it yourself. I recommend the Transgo TF2 and you must replace the torque converter. Craig