Ford 9in? Or beef up the 8.75?

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Central
State: OK

Re: Ford 9in? Or beef up the 8.75?

Post by 66patrick »

I love the "if it ain't Mopar, it ain't going on the truck" thoughts...ever install a Dana 44 or 60 under a pickup? Guess what, Chrysler didn't manufacture that axle, Dana did! Ford, IH, and GM use Dana axles, too, and there is nearly ZERO difference, other than the spring perches and/or the steering linkage! So, if you get an axle from under a Chevy C20, and the price and condition is too good to pass up, now what are you gonna do? Say "no" because that is a "Chevy" axle? That would be a dumb decision.

How about shocks? There were three different vendors that Chrysler used in the '60s and '70s. And guess what? Many of those Ford or Chevy applications are the same as on a Mopar! Even if you have shocks with a Mopar sticker on them, it was not built by Chrysler. Steering boxes? On many Dodge trucks, it's a Saginaw box on there from the factory. Who builds Saginaw boxes? General Motors! Oh, did you know the half-ton Swepty uses the very SAME steering box as a C3 Corvette???

The Dana 44 front axle I have for sale was originally under a '74 IH 200 3/4-ton 4x4. The measurements of everything show it'll fit under a '61 - '71 Dodge W100/W200 like a glove - even the spring perches measure up! If you are looking for a DISC BRAKE 4x4 front axle, this is the axle you need! Oh, but it came from under an International, I can't put that under my Dodge! The axle doesn't care what it is under! And why should you, if it fits and the application (especially for disc brakes and ready to go!) is there! Financially, this makes sense over converting that original front axle to discs...which, BTW, won't be using Mopar parts.

You buy all your replacement parts from a Chrysler dealer? Of course you don't. You buy NON-Mopar brand parts from one of several different auto parts stores!

So, let's tone down the "only Mopar" silliness. For the vast majority of items that are not engine, automatic transmission, body or trim, you are using parts that are used on other brands, too. Questions?
Last edited by 66patrick on Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

Theres so sillyness Chrysler bought those axle and made them fit there trucks.If you want to hot rod your truck with all those different parts keep a log of them if you ever sell or get hurt and some one else has your old truck there not going to be able to figure out what parts it may need but if you have one of my trucks plain and simple look up the year and there you go.The only after market part on my 1970 that maybe hard to figure out is the sway bar on the rear.I will stick with my thinking on these sweptlines I like the 8 3/4 im done with this post you turned it into a fighting match. :shame

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Since the OP's truck is 318/3 speed I think it'd be easier just to see what is really wrong with the axle that is in the truck & save the Dana 60/Ford 9" conversions for another time.

Bucky

gunnyx69
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Austin
State: TX

Post by gunnyx69 »

Hmm I got a lot to think about. It will probly be cheaper in the long run to build a 9in, as far as parts and even brake hardware go.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

Roxyflash wrote:I will stick with my thinking on these sweptlines I like the 8 3/4 im done with this post you turned it into a fighting match. :shame
No, I'm pointing out the overall wrong-headedness of the "all-Mopar-only" on a 42 - 52 year old truck! Run with what works! It really isn't rocket science, ya know! I'm not "fighting", just saying the truth. If I find something that works for half the cost, and just as durable and depndable, guess what??? I'm going for less money. Only I am going to know, and if someone asks, I'll tell them! Too easy!

Oh, and Chrysler didn't "buy those axles and made them fit the truck!" -- they are spec'd, built in the thousands, shipped by rail or truck, moved directly to the assembly line and bolted on! The perches and all came from the Dana plant in-place, with the axles ready to go and bolt on the truck on the line.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

66patrick wrote: How many Ford 9" axle housings are around??? Break a Ford, you get another.
Original 9 inch housings are getting harder to find. Currie used to rebuild originals and had 50,000 or so stockpiled. They ended up at a point where they used most of those and couldn't locate enough donors, so now they make their own housings.

Find a salvage yard with old Dodge trucks, 4 door cars or other Mopars with the 8.75 that nobody wants. The axle shafts are the same on both sides so it is easier to narrow than the the Ford, which has one longer axle.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

A bunch of good information! Does the 9" have a removeable chunk? I've
never really looked at them. I like having the capability to swap out gears
in an 8 3/4 Corporate axle. I've gone from a 2.94 open to a 3.23 sure grip to
a 3.55 sure grip in my R/T over the years and may possibly go with a 3.73
in the near future. I've switched gear sections in a couple of my Sweptlines
as well. :Thumbsup
John

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by soopernaut »

Hobcobble wrote: Does the 9" have a removeable chunk?
Yes.

WD
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rosemark
State: TN

Post by WD »

The 9" is a LOT easier to get parts for in the middle of nowhere. Spent 3 days in Utah mid move in 3/11 when the outer bearings in the 69 D100 8.75 burned up. Took over a day just to locate new bearings... Not one shop in Utah had them. Ford 9" the job would have been done in about 3 hours, including buying the parts.

End use should dictate what axle you run. Odds are, you won't find an 8.75" or GM 10 bolt in a drag racer these days... maybe a GM 12 bolt or 14 bolt, maybe a Dana 60, but most likely you'll see a beefed up Ford 9" based unit.

OP (original poster) replace your outer bearings, somebody forgot that they need to be greased, they are NOT splash lubricated. Another point in the Ford 9's favor... found THAT one out the hard way. 3 days of motel, restaurant, stable and mechanic bills in the middle of "Hell's outhouse" convinced me that the 8.75" is/was a flawed design. With splash lubricated bearings, they'd have been every bit as good as the Ford 9"...

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

8.75" is/was a flawed design
Just need to know how to take care of the truck same with front wheel bearings they need repacked once in awhile.Do the front and rear at the same time.

runcharger
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: B.C.

Post by runcharger »

If your 8 3/4 is in good shape there is nothing wrong with running it. I would guess yours is worn out by the sounds of it. Personally I would not swap in a Ford 9 inch, I would swap in a Dana 60 which is a lot stronger in stock form. And yes if anyone wants to come look at my two Hemi cars you'll find an 8 3/4 under both of them and the engines are bigger than stock too.

Sheldon

W20071
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Huntsville
State: UT

Post by W20071 »

I would run with the 8-3/4 and stay away from the four letter F word stuff. My 68 Coronet still has the 8-3/4, running a well built 383 and 727 that will about snap your neck on the one-two shift. I don't drive it modestly and have never broke anything. An experienced drag racer and former Dodge dealer told me i should weld an axle truss on it to prevent twist, which i did. Absolutely zero problems so far, and i've been running it hard for at least five years now. Gear changes, price, and weight are much better than a Dana 60, and several aftermarket companies make alloy axle shafts, green bearings, and anything you may need for it.

66patrick
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 66patrick »

The bad thing about the "green" bearings is that they are NOT intended for severe use, such as for towing, drag racing, and the like!!! The good thing about them is that they require no setting - just install, lube and go.