Transmission help: rebuild vs buy used/new

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Transmission help: rebuild vs buy used/new

Post by 712edf »

B & M lists their 727 transmissions for $1186. Of course that's exchange & you picking it up at their door.

Possibly a Jeg's or PAW catalog would be of more help.

I luckily live an an area where there are some good transmission shops. Word of mouth plays a big part in whom I'd trust to rebuild mine.

The 727 is possibly one of the cheapest/easiest autos to have rebuilt.

allpar.com has bit of information. Moparts.com has a online classified ad section.

Do have have a nearby car club? Members there might could tell you where in your area to go.

Bucky

F6866
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Morgantown, WV

Post by F6866 »

Although I don"t know the facts of it's demise, if a 727 did nothing I would risk replacing the fluid and filter first. A dirty filter can cause that problem.

dlynes
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Evans
State: GA

Post by dlynes »

F6866 wrote:Although I don"t know the facts of it's demise, if a 727 did nothing I would risk replacing the fluid and filter first. A dirty filter can cause that problem.
thanks, ill try this first!!!!

prefer check smaller, less expensive fixes before commit to a new transmission.

dlynes
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dlynes »

F6866 wrote:Although I don"t know the facts of it's demise, if a 727 did nothing I would risk replacing the fluid and filter first. A dirty filter can cause that problem.
thanks,

can anyone recommend anything else to check as well?

I want to check everything b4 I commit to a new transmission.

thanks again,

dougdodgeman
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: belleville,il.

Post by dougdodgeman »

I may have missed this question and answer, but does it have enough tranny fluid in it? If you haven't checked it, do you know that the engine should be running with the selector in neutral? Was it running / working when you got the truck, or has it been sitting? If it's been sitting, it could be that simple? Doug

dlynes
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dlynes »

dougdodgeman wrote:I may have missed this question and answer, but does it have enough tranny fluid in it? If you haven't checked it, do you know that the engine should be running with the selector in neutral? Was it running / working when you got the truck, or has it been sitting? If it's been sitting, it could be that simple? Doug
I'll add a little more fluid to make it full but I checked it several times in N while idling and hot and the level is good.

nothing happens.

no noise, no vibrations, shakes...etc...

marklein
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Red Deer
State: Foreign

Post by marklein »

There are several things that will cause it not to move. Bad pump, torque converter, plugged filter, low fluid, stuck switch valve, linkage issue, broken internals. I have seen all these particulars in 25 yrs of trans experience. Best bet is to put a pressure gauge on it to see if it makes any pressure. Port to use is the middle one on the passenger side. Check in neutral, use a gauge capable of 300 psi. Hope this helps.

dlynes
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by dlynes »

marklein wrote:There are several things that will cause it not to move. Bad pump, torque converter, plugged filter, low fluid, stuck switch valve, linkage issue, broken internals. I have seen all these particulars in 25 yrs of trans experience. Best bet is to put a pressure gauge on it to see if it makes any pressure. Port to use is the middle one on the passenger side. Check in neutral, use a gauge capable of 300 psi. Hope this helps.
dlynes wrote:
marklein wrote:There are several things that will cause it not to move. Bad pump, torque converter, plugged filter, low fluid, stuck switch valve, linkage issue, broken internals. I have seen all these particulars in 25 yrs of trans experience. Best bet is to put a pressure gauge on it to see if it makes any pressure. Port to use is the middle one on the passenger side. Check in neutral, use a gauge capable of 300 psi. Hope this helps.
great advice from another thread!!!

thanks!!