426 Street Wedge for CSS/HPP

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Amark2006
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Artesia
State: NM

426 Street Wedge for CSS/HPP

Post by Amark2006 »

So I found a rebuilt 426 street wedge that will look nice in my '64 CSS/HPP. I would like to make this truck as factory as possible as far as the drivetrain goes but I'm not sure if there is a difference in the engines. Just to clarify,i mean i would like it to be an engine that would have actually came in an HPP truck and not a car. I really don't know if there is any way to tell or if there even is a difference. If that is the case I think I will just buy it. So how about some input guys. Anybody got some info for me on these engines?
Here is what I know about this one:
-The casting Date is 1-13-64
-The Casting No. is 2532230-1
-The Stamp Pad Reads A 426 ( I think the HPP trucks are suppose to say 426HP??)

Any info is appreciated

Aaron

Hoss
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Berthoud
State: CO

Re: 426 Street Wedge for CSS/HPP

Post by Hoss »

Looking at the casting number it is a 426 wedge. Production dates of 64-66 and with a casting number of 2532230-1 the -1 means you have the first run of that cast which is really good. which means that the cyl walls should be pretty thick. No mention of it being for a truck and I dont think they started the HP until the 440 blocks came out. You cant even tell its a Max Wedge without looking at the cyl wall at the top to see if it has notches. Some 426 Max Wedge blocks had some additional symbols on the front of the block to ID it, as I remember but could be wrong. Mopar used the same casting for the Maximum Performance engines as a standard car or truck engine in the early years. I have a 413 with a casting number that could be either a truck engine, a Max wedge or a 426 wedge.
Hope this helps.

Ken

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

Hi Aaron,

the trucks used the car engines.

the stamping you have on that block would be ok for the truck. are there any other numbers stamped into the top of the block other than A 426? usually that is the assembly date...

some of the trucks are stamped A42, A-42, A426, A42HP, etc...

Ben

Amark2006
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Amark2006 »

Ben,

The block I ended up getting does not have anything stamped on the stamp plate... Is this normal? Or I wonder if it was just milled off...

Aaron

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

can post photos of the block along with the casting numbers and bosses?

Amark2006
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Amark2006 »

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

those numbers on the photos don't jibe with the one list at the top of the post. what block is that?

Amark2006
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Amark2006 »

At the time of the post I was looking at 2 engines. One was a rebuilt engine and the other was a bear block. I ended up buying the bear block so I can build it up how I want it. The numbers of the engine in my first post were that of the rebuilt engine that I did not buy. Here is a link to the engine in my first post http://knoxville.craigslist.org/pts/3482175995.html

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator

Post by CSS-Registry »

sounds like a good plan.

be sure to double check if your new bare block has been decked and bored out. i have not seen 426 SW block NOT stamped with info.

i'd also suggest that boring a 426 to 440 is not a good way to go - the 426 is prone to running hot with a virgin block and bore it to the max is not going to help that issue.

i would suggest that custom pistons and keeping the bore small is better and less problematic especially if you plan on driving it. 440 pistons are much cheaper than anything 426 related so bear that mind.

Ben

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Rio Linda
State: CA

Post by nytemuvr »

How are people running that much compression with todays low octane gas?

quickd100
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: nielsville, mn.
State: MN

Post by quickd100 »

nytemuvr wrote:How are people running that much compression with todays low octane gas?
Tight quench, aluminum heads, long duration cams, good cooling systems. One or more of these. A hemi head can tolerate a bit more compression than a wedge head also. For my build I kept the compression rather conservative because most place around me sell 89.5 octane. My 605 is 10.4-1, aluminum hemi heads, quench around the perimeter of the pistons is .052. Also have a very large cam in the motor. Better safe than sorry. Dave

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

quickd100 wrote:
nytemuvr wrote:How are people running that much compression with todays low octane gas?
Tight quench, aluminum heads, long duration cams, good cooling systems. One or more of these. A hemi head can tolerate a bit more compression than a wedge head also. For my build I kept the compression rather conservative because most place around me sell 89.5 octane. My 605 is 10.4-1, aluminum hemi heads, quench around the perimeter of the pistons is .052. Also have a very large cam in the motor. Better safe than sorry. Dave
I went with 9.5 to 1 on my 340 with long duration/overlap cam, guess the aluminum heads help a lot, I thought we had it bad out here in CA with 91/92 octane. Still couldn't run my 1200 rpm/ full advance distributor. Maybe I should look at the aluminum heads for the next bullet. and higher lift cam....Need to do some studying. It's been my daily driver for 41 years, maybe should have listened to my machine shop owner friend.

robertob
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Brooklyn
State: NY

Post by robertob »

Intake closing point is really important. You can run 10:1 on open chamber iron heads with the right cam. Google 'dynamic compression ratio' for more. But most people run into trouble with either too little compression and a big cam or too much compression and a small cam.

nytemuvr
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by nytemuvr »

robertob wrote:Intake closing point is really important. You can run 10:1 on open chamber iron heads with the right cam. Google 'dynamic compression ratio' for more. But most people run into trouble with either too little compression and a big cam or too much compression and a small cam.
My machine shop friend explained it to me but it was my daily driver ten and didn't want to overdo it. The drivetrain was dated April of '71 with 11.5+-1 compresion, 2.02s(dealer demo car) and Mother Mopar shaved the heads so much I had to find another set when I did a ground up in '95. Big blocks never really scared me. No one made aluminum Mopar aluminum heads back in '95. Gas back then was getting worse and worse. He just wanted to show off a with real smoker, but wouldn't let him. So I built it for top end(147 mph). Next rebuild will be a lot different, technology has changed. Check ebay for a 2x4 intake for your engine I just saw yesterday... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-1962-Chry ... es&vxp=mtr

http://s761.beta.photobucket.com/user/n ... 4396748795

edk
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Edmonton
State: Foreign

Post by edk »

Hello Aaron,

Did you get your engine built? I saw this old post and was looking for some help locating a 426 engine, or parts with the same casting number as the block you had. If you have any leads I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ed.