Where to get 1970 clutch parts? 383 engine vibration problem

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Mopower
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: WA

Where to get 1970 clutch parts? 383 engine vibration problem

Post by Mopower »

Not having a whole lot of luck finding a clutch kit for a 1970 W200 with 383 engine, 10 spline input shaft from what I hear?

Also, does anyone know if this clutch rod kit, for a E/B body with big block, might be the same parts as the pickup stuff? It wouldn't surprise me if it was.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-ROD-KIT- ... 30&vxp=mtr

About my clutch... It does chatter some but nuthin I couldn't live with. However I've been chasing down an irksome vibration just off idle. I can't stand it. Looked under the truck to make sure it was a 383, not a 400 someone stuffed in there. It was the correct 383, casting # 2468130, so that's not a cause of the vibration. Next did a compression test to make sure I wasn't chasing down something unfixable without engine work. Compression seems fine and fairly even, most cylinders 125, a couple at 115, most likely not the problem either.

Someone put in a big flex fan and I was slightly suspecting it, ran it without the fan belt. Not the problem. Quite a bit of dirt in the crank pulley, cleaned that out, not the problem either. Pulled off the clutch inspection cover, there's what seems to be wads of friction material jammed up between the flywheel and the block on the starter side, removed all that... the pressure plate is just lousy with this stuff, literally stuffed with it. The stuff looks to be what use to be the friction material on the pressure plate side of the disc.

I don't see any friction material on that side of the disc... I don't know how someone could have abused it like this, but it's possible. I may attempt to unbolt the pressure plate in place and clean the junk out of it. Funny thing is the clutch works more or less fine. A little chatter taking off in high range, in low range you'd never guess there was something wrong with it.

Seems like I'd be hearing some awful metal to metal noise if indeed the disc is out of lining on the backside?

Anyway, I'll definitely be doing a clutch on it in the near future, hopefully right after the new year.

soopernaut
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Re: Where to get 1970 clutch parts? 383 engine vibration pro

Post by soopernaut »

I always see http://www.hrclutch.com/ mentioned when anyone asks where to get clutch parts.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

HR-Clutch has what you need.

I bought a McLeod but you need to modify the pressure plate center. :2cents They'll do it for you if you let them know.

Pricey though.

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Mopower wrote:Not having a whole lot of luck finding a clutch kit for a 1970 W200 with 383 engine, 10 spline input shaft from what I hear?
Twenty-Three spline would be stock. :study :salut :Thumbsup
John

Mopower
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: WA

Post by Mopower »

Thx guys ;-)

I was pretty much guessing that it is 23 spline, although you can't see the splines with the clutch installed. I ordered a New Generation kit 05-0562, super deal (via slow boat from Amazon).

I did undo all the pressure plate bolt yesterday, in some vain attempt to push it back and clean some of the junk out of there... and the pressure plate is so stuffed with junk that it didn't hardly retract, would barely even let go of the plate. So I just bolted it back on and played with some other stuff. A brief test afterwards showed the clutch works just about like it always has, virtually flawless. Truly weird but so... Moparlike, as in shouldn't run but it does and actually quite well.

When I went to SCC Automotive/Heavy Equipment back in 1988-91, all these Chevy guys (about 90% of the guys) would always ask me "Why do you like Mopars?" and I'd say because they always run no matter what, in other words they are so tough and reliable... and also, "even a crappy mechanic like me can't manage to kill one" ;-)