Another 6 to 318 swap

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kennard
State: NE

Another 6 to 318 swap

Post by Papac3 »

I just got a plymouth duster with a 318 and auto trans. I plan on putting this combo in my 62 dodge d200. Any help on what I need to change or look for? What about motor mounts, cross menbers etc. I 'm sure someone has done a detailed thread on this but I can not find one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Re: Another 6 to 318 swap

Post by Jim100 »

Motor mounts for sure. What is in the truck now for trans?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Papac3 wrote:I just got a plymouth duster with a 318 and auto trans. I plan on putting this combo in my 62 dodge d200. Any help on what I need to change or look for? What about motor mounts, cross menbers etc. I 'm sure someone has done a detailed thread on this but I can not find one.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Do a site search. Many have done this. There is a ton
of information on it here. You will need an auto tranny
cross member and appropriate radiator. Also, you'll have
to remove the current bell housing cross member.
John
Slant Six A745 to A318 727 Sawp
Slant Six A745 to A318 727 Sawp

Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papac3 »

Thanks for the replys. The 62 has the original 4 speed with floor shifter.I plan on using the trans from the duster along with the motor and maybe the rear end and as many parts as I can. I don't know if the radiator will work? Maybe the trans cross member? Winter coming will slow me down as shop is not heated but I'll keep up on here. Love the sight and spend many evenings just reading the forum for ideas.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Sir

As an visual start look at where the 318's Oil Pan Slump is located. Then match this with the
needed space location in the truck.

Any Dodge Van with an V8 has the needed Engine to Frame Bracket's.

Any 1974 to 1972 Dodge Van with non EGR/ Emmission Exhaust Manifold on the Left ( Driver's )
will be needed. Your truck needs twin Center Dump Exhaust Manifold's.

All of the above can be about $40 or less and an pick & pull.

Even though your newer 318 is not pre-1967 correct, paint it Chryler Red to at least make it part right.

It is much easier to re-place The Timing Chain & related parts and Freeze Plugs now before the newer
engine gets in an difficult spot ( like between the fenders ).

Its some home work and some extra $$$ but you can do it.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papac3 »

Thanks Roger

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

I'll add to Rodger's comments...... You can use the engine
mount brackets from a van equipped with a small block V8
BUT, if this V8 is a 360, the right side mount bracket is
different than what you need on the 318. :2cents
John

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Chilliwack. B.C. Canada
State: Foreign

Post by dodgeboykim »

Papac3 wrote:Thanks for the replys. The 62 has the original 4 speed with floor shifter.I plan on using the trans from the duster along with the motor and maybe the rear end and as many parts as I can. I don't know if the radiator will work? Maybe the trans cross member? Winter coming will slow me down as shop is not heated but I'll keep up on here. Love the sight and spend many evenings just reading the forum for ideas
As for useing the Duster rear end that may not be a good idea. The Duster with a 318 probably has a 8 1/4 rear. Not the best. Also may be too narrow to fit plus spring pads are to the bottom of axle and a different spacing than a truck springs. Find a newer 8 3/4 truck or a 9 1/4 truck to upgrade the rear. The original diff probably has some low gears (3:90 4:10 or some other) and this would affect motor RPM.

Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papac3 »

Dodgeboykim

Thanks for the input. I don't understand the reference to a 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 truck rearend. Please educate me.

Thanks

Roxyflash
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: East Moline
State: IL

Post by Roxyflash »

The duster tranny may be to short to use with a stock tranny crossmember from a late 60s truck.I have a set of motor mounts from a 1969 318 that i put a 383 in to.Im more familar with the later model sweptlines.Measure how long the tranny is from the front to the seal on the tail shaft.I guess you could move the crossmember forward to make it work but might make for a super long driveshaft if its a one piece unit.the rear end is the diameter of the ring gear

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Papac3 wrote:Thanks for the input. I don't understand the reference to a 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 truck rearend. Please educate me
Refers to the ring gear diameter. 8 3/4 used in sweptys from 61to 71. 72 to 74 in the next generation and 9 1/4 diffs from75 to I believe the current trucks. I may need correction on that point.
Papac3 wrote: The 62 has the original 4 speed with floor shifter
Sounds to me you may be needing a bit of advice from someone close by who knows Dodge trucks. If you have the original 4 spd then you do not have a cross member to mount the trans to.The Duster cross member will not work for a truck. Way too narrow to fit a truck frame. Your current bell housing mounts to the frame between the rear shackles of the front axle..

Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papac3 »

Dodgeboykim you are correct that I need help doing this conversion. Fortunately I have two botherinlaws, a nephew and a goood friend that are all mechanics. I've stripped this to the frame so once the frame is cleaned and drive train is installed I can do the body work. Keep the advice comeing. I really enjoy this site.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Its good you have help to do your swap.I made a lot of mistakes when I was young working on vehicles due to inexperience. At the time I didn't have a mentor.

Papac3
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Papac3 »

Not so young anymore. Just turned 66. Played with alot of cars over the years but never done this kind of engine swap before. My main toy os a 58 chevy 283. The dodge was my father in laws so I told the wife we would restore it with a few changes so she can drive it. She never learned how to drive a stick.

dodgeboykim
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by dodgeboykim »

Papac3 wrote:Not so young anymore. Just turned 66. Played with alot of cars over the years but never done this kind of engine swap before
I do apologize. 10 years between us and your the 1 getting the seniors discount. I haven't started to receive that yet.