fan clutch

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

fan clutch

Post by Jim100 »

I recently picked up the silicone thermal fan clutch and fan to go with it.
Looking at it and measuring it looks like I have to move the radiator forward about 3/4 of an inch.
Anyone else have this issue on this swap? The clutch is for a 1974.
Thanks,
jim

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Re: fan clutch

Post by wally426ci »

I'd be interested in doing this but have never done it. I believe cummins guys stick the rad one the other side of the core support for room maybe?

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Jim

This is an item that all can "learn about" so be kind if you feel if I'm Preaching To The Choir.

The GM and MoPar's both use the same Engine Fan Clutch Units so this part is very easy to locate.
Because of the lack of Water Pump Nose location and The Radiator location there is very little
room ( space ). The shortest Fan Clutch made is the only one the can be "slipped" into this
space.

I have found out to place one of the four lil bolts into one of the holes first and then lower the unit
seems to work best for me. After I get one started then I move to another and another until they
are finger started. Because of lack of space a open end wrench must be used to finish the task.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

Thanks Rodger,
I was hoping you would post about this. Do you know if the autozone clutch #922706 is the shortest one?
I had more rows added to my radiator so maybe this is why it looks like it will be too snug.
Will the clutch still work if I lack a shroud?

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton

Post by surfnuke9 »

The clutch will still work without a shroud, but the fan wont be as efficient at drawing the airflow through the radiator core.
It will suck in air from the engine side of the core vice having all air pulled through it.

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Hola

Part two of what was just said is after about 20 to 15 MPH the Cooling Fan is not needed. This means
on any vhicle the fan only is needed when you are using the drive window at some place or you are
in some local parade. This is where The Fan Shroud - Fan and etc do their job.

Some where between 1978 and 1980 Hot Rod or Craft Craft Magizine did an MPG/ Perfromance Tip Article
and this was hint number _____ to use if you are an Commutor with very little stop & go traffic. I
drove this way for almost three years ... then I got an VW GTI ( which lasted only 150,000 something miles ).

Rodger & Gabby
COS

marine43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: glenshaw P.a.

Post by marine43 »

Jim100 wrote:Thanks Rodger,
I was hoping you would post about this. Do you know if the autozone clutch #922706 is the shortest one?
I had more rows added to my radiator so maybe this is why it looks like it will be too snug.
Will the clutch still work if I lack a shroud?
Hey Jim, did that clutch work? I am driving up north next weds and would like to put a clutch on my 68 w200. Thanks Jim :salut

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

I have not figured out how, or worked up the courage, to move my radiator forward about 3/4 of an inch. Looks like it is possible but will require removal and some messing around.

surfnuke9
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Churchton

Post by surfnuke9 »

Rodger is correct, but here is the main point....

You dont need the efficiency of the fan/shroud combo at speed. Where you need it is while stopped at a light.
Thats where you will overheat without a shroud.

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Jim100 »

That makes sense. If the heat is not detected by that little coil spring the fan will not engage.

marine43
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: glenshaw P.a.

Post by marine43 »

Hmmm , well top speed on my truck with the 488 spicer is 50. So maybe I'll just cruise at around 47 and take a little more time. :lol: :salut