Clutch pedal is sticking on the way up

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
etops737gb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Waynesboro
State: MS

Clutch pedal is sticking on the way up

Post by etops737gb »

Maybe someone can help me here. My 64 utiline with 318 and three speed tranny has the clutch pedal sticking on the way back up. I have changed the master cyl. and the slave cylinder is almost new. It all works and is adjusted and bled correctly. However now that cold weather is here the clutch pedal is sticking occasionally on the way up. My FSM says lubricate the pedal assembly 2 grease fittings? where are they located. Also manual mentions in lubrication section to lube the clutch release lever bearing 1 fitting at 2000 mile intervals. where would this be located? I figure the old grease is congealing and causing the bind. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you in advance, John Ankers

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Re: Clutch pedal is sticking on the way up

Post by Johninky »

The Z bar should have a couple of zerk fittings. Years ago I installed a large spring attached to the clutch arm.

etops737gb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etops737gb »

Thanks I will try again to find them. What about the release fitting?

Johninky
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: elkton
State: KY

Post by Johninky »

Don't know. May be a grease fitting on the shaft under the dash the pedals swing from. The clutch pedal has a large spring under the dash. This is what allows the pedal to return. This is about all I know.

Sounds like after rereading your original post you have a hydraulic clutch. I was thinking the 3-speed used a conventional system. The hydraulic system doses't use a Z bar.

Sterno
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Kelowna, BC Canada

Post by Sterno »

You have a hydraulic setup so there won't be a z-bar (that's for the mechanical setups). Good idea to check the pivot on your pedal, its right under your dash and easy enough to get at.

Next time it sticks pull over and climb under your truck and check your clutch fork. If it's under pressure your problem is not inside your bellhousing. Alternatively if it's sloppy and loose the most likely answer is that that your release bearing is sticking on the input shaft retainer on your transmission. You'll have to pull the dust cover to inspect that and likely have to pull the trans to clean and relube it properly.

The Clutch lever pivot is just a ball headed stud inside the bellhousing, i doubt it could bind enough to cause the clutch to stick.
:2cents

etops737gb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etops737gb »

Thanks guys, I pulled the dust cover today and lubed the disengage bearing with a little 30wt oil you need to have a helper cycle the clutch and it helps if the motor is running so it speads the oil. I misread the FSM the D100 has no zerks for the pedals or the disengage bearing. Works perfect now. Manual says lube this shaft/bearing at 2000 mile intervals. I bet almost no one does this since you have to pull the dust cover. Hope this helps anyone out there with the same problem. I would go there first before changing out a master/slave cylinder now that I know about it.