Transmission is toasted...need ideas

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
SweptRat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Vista, CA

Transmission is toasted...need ideas

Post by SweptRat »

Anyone have any information in general (or rebuilding) about 727s for a slant six??? I gotta 68 D-100 with the original 225 and my 3 speed auto 727 transmission just took a fat *#%^ on me coming home from Cruisin Grand :pale ...I really need a new one being as that it is my only mode of transportation. Also, anyone know what the benefits/downsides of putting a 904 auto in place of the crap 727? Is it possible? Any ideas of what i should do? Im not sure what the gearing is in the rearend...its the stock 8.75 diff....Any info-advice-tips-or anything of that sort would be greatly appreciated...i really need help here haha :salut

Thank you,
Vinnie

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Re: Transmission is toasted...need ideas

Post by 712edf »

I would stick with the 727. They are not expensive to have rebuilt ( by a shop) compared to other transmissions & if you remove it & re-install it yourself you could save some money. Some people rebuild their own but that requires a good clean shop with the proper tools & a good service manual.

Bucky

daytb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bucklin
State: KS

Post by daytb »

Iv built a ton of them a 904 is pretty much the same tranny just not as heavy duity. if a 727 is set up nice and tight should last you a very long time TRANS GO makes a great shift kit that really helps too with shift quality and durablity TF-1 for reg use would be just the ticket

Bubb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Post by Bubb »

712edf wrote:I would stick with the 727. They are not expensive to have rebuilt ( by a shop) compared to other transmissions & if you remove it & re-install it yourself you could save some money. Some people rebuild their own but that requires a good clean shop with the proper tools & a good service manual.

Bucky

Hey Bucky, what do you consider "not expensive" for a rebuild? I had a shop quote me at $650 with me pulling and reinstalling. Seemed a bit high to me.

Brad

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: COS ( Colo )

Post by Rodger »

Vinnie

The 727 Load-Flite in your Truck has the four-geared Planetery Unit.
All car 727 Torque-Flites have a three gear unit. This is also true
for the Light Duty 904 ( and the following 998 or 999's ).

Call NAPA and say that you want the # ATP 1-6034 Re-Built Kit
for a 1966 -1972 727. It will be in an Red Box. If you can not find
a reason to get some type of "dis-count" expect to pay about $119 .

Stop at WalMart and get the new Transmission Filter and Transmission Fluid.

Now locate a local to you MoPar Club or the local Walter P. Chrysler
Resto Chapter and ask them for a person that will re-build the 727
( remember the 727 on the bench is just another 727 ).

The failure of most any automatic transmission is from not changing
the Fluid and Filter. For The Torque-Flites this also includes placing
the Gear Selection in "1" and power-braking the vehicle.

Rodger & Gabby
FltSgt@msn.com
COS

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

Bubb, I had one done here in '03 for $350 with me doing the R & R. Came with 1 yr warranty. Trouble was he said that the tranny (before)should have still at least moved the truck & my convertor was probably shot. So I really didn't need the rebuild.

Maybe I am just not factoring in inflation. $650 seems high to me as well.

Bucky

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

The 727 is a great trans, go talk to the guys at Vista transmission. They have been a family shop for ever and are honest. What happened to yours, did it just stop moving forward? How about reverse? Fluid burned or nasty looking from a ton of clutch material? I totally agree with the *#%^ kit suggestion.

SweptRat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SweptRat »

Its had shifting problems since i owned it...but i've been driving it for a while like that and apparently it finally crapped out. I drove all the way to Grand with nothing out of the ordinary, upon reaching my destination i noticed it was having more trouble shifting (taking way too long to shift and loss of power in 2nd when shifting was regularly occurs). I drove it home very slowly that night-got about 3/4 of the way home-and horrific noises started coming from the forward end of my transmission (i shifted into all gears and the noise wouldn't go away) :banghead after these noises got much louder my trans then stopped shifting...1st gear only till i got home about 4 miles away. When i got home it wouldnt go into park...sittin in my driveway in neutral with e-brake on :Thumbsup

daytb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bucklin
State: KS

Post by daytb »

Ya might want to see if someone has a used on if nothing else for parts sounds like you might of ate up some hard parts inside

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

I just happen to have one here in Reno that was okay when I pulled it out of an old van I was converting into a parts shed. Not sure where Vista is but if you can get here to pick it up, it's yours. Might have to buy me a cup of coffee or something. Mike

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Post by EGroscup »

San Diego craigslist has a couple in there for $500. Sounds as if yours is really beat up and will require more than replacing clutches, bands and seals.

rogerr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Akron
State: OH

Post by rogerr »

The TorqueFlite is the best thing about Mopar engineering. The 727 is the heavy duty three speed and what you want to keep. Any automatic transmission shop can rebuild them.

One possible upgrade would be to put in an A518, the four speed version. I don't know if it would be possible without floorboard rework on these trucks but when the one in my '67 goes I am going to research it more.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/SwapInformation.htm

is one source of information on this.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

A 518 can be installed fairly easily, but will open up other issues, and require lower gears. I have one in my 70 crew. Although, doesn't the slant 6 use a different bell housing? That would be a deal breaker.

I would recommend a Trans-Go kit as well. Installed one in the 518, really like! It also engages the pump in park, so no more sluggish take offs.

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

I just did a a518 conversion in my 65 D200 Poly. No major modifications. No cutting the floor of the truck. Runs my Poly on the highway at 2000 rpm going 70 mph. Best $575 upgrade I could have done. On the first tank of gas I am getting around 13.5 mpg. Better then the 9-10 I was getting with the NP435. Still working out my OD and Lockup speeds and kickdown points so I'm pretty excited to see what I'm getting on the 2nd tank. Basically minimal wiring and if you are going from a 727 to the a518 you have most of the goods you need like trans lines, linkage, shifter, drive shaft (needs to be shortened about 3.5"), and cross member (need to modify it).

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Hola All

As you give off the information about the A-500 or the A-518 Tranmission's please
remember to also let any Slant Six ( or BB ) user know the A-500 or A-518 only has
the Bell Housing with the A-318, LA-273, LA-318, LA-340 , LA-360 Family of Engines.

This is why I simply stated to use the Repair Kit #ATP 1-6034 from NAPA for your
transmission that has everything in a quailty manner.

Rodger & Gabby
FltSgt@msn.com
COS

40YearOldFury
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Parker
State: CO

Post by 40YearOldFury »

Rodger wrote:Hola All

As you give off the information about the A-500 or the A-518 Tranmission's please
remember to also let any Slant Six ( or BB ) user know the A-500 or A-518 only has
the Bell Housing with the A-318, LA-273, LA-318, LA-340 , LA-360 Family of Engines.

This is why I simply stated to use the Repair Kit #ATP 1-6034 from NAPA for your
transmission that has everything in a quailty manner.

Rodger & Gabby
FltSgt@msn.com
COS
Sorry, my bad. Forgot you were running the slant six on your truck.

SweptRat
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by SweptRat »

Hey guys...good news! i rebuilt the 727 myself! And it runs friggin great!!! :dance ...easiest trans ive ever had the pleasure to rebuild...I noticed as soon as i dropped the pan what had gone wrong. It wasnt the torque converter as i suspected. Both struts for my front band had fallen out of place and were rolling hopping and a' skippin around inside :pale (which explains the horrific noises i was hearing). I also noticed that Rodger was mistaken...my planets were 3 gears not 4...both were in good shape. I picked up a "Banner Kit" and two new bands from a place called Makco Transmissions online. The kit included all new seals and rubbers as well as gaskets, clutches, and a few small valve body replacement parts. The kit and bands (and filter) ran me about 130 bucks with S&H from this website...which, to me, is an outstanding price. Thanks everybody for the advice but it appears that i got it lone ranger haha :lol:

Thanks guys,
Vinnie

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by 712edf »

SweptRat wrote:Hey guys...good news! i rebuilt the 727 myself! And it runs friggin great!!! :dance ...easiest trans ive ever had the pleasure to rebuild...I noticed as soon as i dropped the pan what had gone wrong. It wasnt the torque converter as i suspected. Both struts for my front band had fallen out of place and were rolling hopping and a' skippin around inside :pale (which explains the horrific noises i was hearing). I also noticed that Rodger was mistaken...my planets were 3 gears not 4...both were in good shape. I picked up a "Banner Kit" and two new bands from a place called Makco Transmissions online. The kit included all new seals and rubbers as well as gaskets, clutches, and a few small valve body replacement parts. The kit and bands (and filter) ran me about 130 bucks with S&H from this website...which, to me, is an outstanding price. Thanks everybody for the advice but it appears that i got it lone ranger haha :lol:

Thanks guys,
Vinnie
:clap :dance Good deal!

Bucky

Rodger
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Rodger »

Vinnie

The Four Gear Planetery is in all original part for your Dodge Truck. The three gear is someting
that was swapped before you purchased the truck. Either way you know know what it came with
and what you know have.

Glad you know how easy of an "intiminating" job it is. Also Thank You for letting others know
one of us can do it too.

Rodger & Gabby
FltSgt@msn.com.
COS

rogerr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Akron
State: OH

Post by rogerr »

I have seen at least one /6 to A-518 swap but I don't know how he did it. I think an adapter plate was fabricated.

The elegant solution would be an UltraBell, IF they made one for Slant Six. HINT, HINT.