spicer 60 rear vent

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shoreline
State: WA

spicer 60 rear vent

Post by Dood »

'68 D200

My dana 60 rear has been leaking more and more. It started at the cover then the driver wheel and is now leaking at the drive shaft seal. I was thinking it might be a clogged vent, but when I went looking for one with a wire brush (on a mass of road dirt) what I found was some sort of compound fitting with the brake lines? Here is a picture:
Dana/Spicer 60 rear vent?
Dana/Spicer 60 rear vent?
I apologize for the crappy quality. It was dark and my cell phone isn't exactly 'modern.' This is the driver rear axle. The break lines come in and branch left and right at the fitting. The top of the fitting has three holes in a hex nut. Thanks for any ideas. I guess no matter what I'm looking at a seal and gasket kit?
Last edited by Dood on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Re: spice 60 rear vent

Post by Marc »

I have the same fitting on my 65 D100 Ute. It is for the brakes... I don't know what it does... and mine leaks too... lol
My guess is it's some kind-of pressure relief for the brake line to the rear cylinders but I am hoping that someone else can say more than I. I need to replace mine too. :)

Sorry if I did SQUAT to help here... Just know that you are not alone in needing that part.

-Marc

aqmet
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Norcross
State: GA

Post by aqmet »

If that setup is the same as on my 64 D100, it is the axle vent, it also is used to hold the brass brake line tee in place but is not actually connected to the brake system so anything that is leaking would be from the axle not brake fluid.
Mike

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Basically it's a hollow bolt that holds the brass tee in place and is supposed to vent the rearend. That's the reason for the little cap like thing on top. It's probably plugged up. I just removed mine and cleaned it up then reinstalled it. Good luck! Mike

Marc
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Los Angeles
State: CA

Post by Marc »

Amazing!

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dood »

Thanks! I think this was blocked and the pressure buildup is what caused the seals and gaskets to fail. What should I be looking to pay for a new seal kit?

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

As mentioned that is the vent, and hold the brake tee. And they do clog up. They also can snap if you get rough with them, or the threads are corroded! So proceed cautiously. They are pretty easy to clean with a stiff wire and pipe cleaners.

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dood »

Thanks all. It was completely clogged. I used a drill bit to clean it out (the butt end that goes in a drill). I also took the opportunity to drain the differential and refill it. The stuff that came out was pretty nasty looking. I refilled with 80w-90 and drove a few miles then drained and refilled it again. Looked better the second time. Hopefully that will stop the leaks, but if not I'm probably going to have to reseal. I see NAPA has a reseal for the 60 which includes bearings but its $200. Is that right?

Hobcobble
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Hobcobble »

Dood wrote:Thanks all. It was completely clogged. I used a drill bit to clean it out (the butt end that goes in a drill). I also took the opportunity to drain the differential and refill it. The stuff that came out was pretty nasty looking. I refilled with 80w-90 and drove a few miles then drained and refilled it again. Looked better the second time. Hopefully that will stop the leaks, but if not I'm probably going to have to reseal. I see NAPA has a reseal for the 60 which includes bearings but its $200. Is that right?
If your rear axle has a sure-grip differential, don't
forget to put in the sure-grip additive too. :Thumbsup
John

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: spicer 60 rear vent

Post by Dood »

John, thanks I read another recent post about this ( viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26244 ) and an older one ( viewtopic.php?f=19&t=27329 ). I will look for the tag. I also found this empirical method: http://maxwedge.com/junkyard/axle.php which describes turning the wheels to look for same direction rotation.

FWIW, in looking for tips on replacing the seals, there is this way awesome PDF too: http://www.dana60manual.com/

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dood »

Interesting, so I have no limited slip lube tag on the carrier housing and the test of raising the rear wheels with no parking brake and out of gear and turning one wheel had the other stationary. No sure-grip I suppose. Too bad. I wonde why the opposite wheel didn't turn reverse dir though. I must be missing something about the internals.

nfury8
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: KC, MO

Post by nfury8 »

The drive shaft was probably spinning. Put it in gear and the other tire will probably spin then.

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by Dood »

Thank you very much for the response! I had the truck in neutral (from how I rested it on the front chocks), and of course, out of inexperience, I didn't think to look there.