project: BLOWN SLANT

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: 94597
State: CA

project: BLOWN SLANT

Post by jrstockracer »

hey guys. i just thought i would share what i have been up to lately. this is my slant six that goes in my 63 valiant. a buddy of mine was going to do all the fabrication work, but after almost 7 months of waiting, i called him up and told him i was going to come pick up my engine. i was nice about it though, i told him i needed a project to work on. even though i was a little upset. but anyways, in the past 2 weeks i have pretty much gotten everything mocked up and ready to go. im going to drop the engine in today and check a few clearances, then pull it back out and finish a few brackets. enjoy the pictures.

getting the slant back home where i can work on it.
this is the adapter plate he came up with. its 3 different plates put together to get the blower at the correct angle. i thought it looked hokey, so it had to go.

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Re: project: BLOWN SLANT

Post by jrstockracer »

so my first thing i needed to figure out was how to get the right angle so the blower pulley lined up with the crankshaft pulley. it turned out that i could mill 5/32" off the intake and that would get everything to line up.

so i took the intake down to the machine shop and had them mill it down in the back.

for the adapter plate, i bought a 1" thick piece of alluminum.

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

then the stressfull part. after measuring, measuring and more measuring, i drilled the holes.

here is the plate with all the holes drilled in it. im glad thats over with.

here is a picture with the blower all bolted up. i started mocking up the idler pulley. i made a bracket that bolts to the three top water pump bolts. i need to trim all the extra metal off still.

yesterday i got the adapter plate back from the machine shop. the guy cut the extra metal off and cut the hole in the middle for me. and he didnt even charge me, he wouldnt even accept the money when i tried to give him some. he just wants to see it when its done. boy does it look good.

here is where im at as of last night. 2 weeks of working on it on the weekends and a little after work.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

Man that is sweet!!

When I read the title, I was thinking: someone actually blew up a slant6??! :lol: I see how it is Blown now! :dance I love the finish of your truck, I hope you run it with original paint for a while!! :clap

Presvjetli
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Ruma
State: Foreign

Post by Presvjetli »

:Thumbsup

Jim100
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Kalamazoo/MI

Post by Jim100 »

Boy, talk about a leaning tower of power. Very interesting!

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

well i got a little more done today on this project. i welded the tensioner pulley to the bracket i made. i still want to add some gussets. i also dropped the engine in the valiant to make sure everything clears. it all looks good. well except the hood, but thats no big suprise.

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

you got my attention :lol: I would be interested in your idea, to the point of wanting to know the blower information. I'm droping a slant 6 inot a 1954, Willy's, and I have one in the 65 D100 that I would consider this option for more power. what kind of blower is that?

OregonDodgeboy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Nampa, Idaho

Post by OregonDodgeboy »

Yeah, I'm really interested in this thread too. I've never seen a blower on a slant, but I've often wondered how they might respond to one. :Thumbsup

Food for thought: When I saw your pictures, my first thought was to make an intake and tip the blower on it's side, and lower it down, to clear the hood. Then you could run a side draft carb or maybe fuel injection? A GM TBI on the blower, or put injectors in the intake near the head, so you have a kind of port fuel injection. :thinking :study

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

thanks guys. the blower is a b&m 144. i got it used for 600 bucks off a person from another forum. holley now rebadges them as weiands. i had to have pulleys custom made, but it wasnt that big of a deal. i dealt with asp racing out of texas and the guy there is really good to work with. you could probably set the blower on its side in a truck, but if i did it in the wagon, i would run into clearance issues with the battery and inner fender. yesterday i got the idler pulley bracket finished up and primered, im going to paint it this morning, now its just little odds and ends.

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

here are a couple more pictures from today. i painted a few brackets and installed them. its finally getting there.

hoffy09
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Pleasant Hill
State: MO

Post by hoffy09 »

I am amazed and absolutely love what you have done. I do have a question. It looks to me like you could have a ton of stress on the snout of the blower which could possibly lead to a cracked intake manifold from the belt pulling down on it. I also noticed that there are 2 unused mounting holes and bosses on the bottom of the snout. Have you thought about building some sort of bracket from those 2 holes down to the water pump mounting holes or possibly down to part of your idler bracket? It sure looks like that would take all of the stress off of the intake. Please keep us posted and keep the pictures coming.

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

I concur with hoffy. Probably isn't needed but better to be safe. Wouldn't be fun to replace that nose. The project looks fantastic! Mike

Daddiojoe
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Daddiojoe »

REALLY IMPRESSIVE---

What kind of carburetor is that, and what CFM? I'll look forward to hearing about how it drives, gas mileage, etc.

Keep up the good work,

Joe

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

thats not a bad idea guys. i think it will be ok. all the pictures i see of these blowers have no support there. i dont know what those threaded holes are for. it was a kit for a 350 chevy, i have seen pictures where the tensioner is mounted to the snout. maybe to those holes. the carb i had on there for mockup was a holley 390. thats the carb i ran without the blower. but i just got a new holley 600 DP supercharger carb. now i just need to do some welding under the car, and buy a few more expensive things, like wideband meter and other misc things. its getting close. im trying to get it done as fast as my bank account will allow.

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

well most the fabrication work is just about done, now i just need to spend money on expensive parts. today i started building solid motor mounts, its not like i can just order solid engine mounts for a slant six. but thats what is making this project different. i basically copied the stock mounts, but they are boxed in steel instead of rubber.

Dood
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Shoreline
State: WA

Post by Dood »

Probably a silly question, but why do you need solid mounts vs. rubber?

Daddiojoe
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by Daddiojoe »

I'm wondering too, Dood.

Joe

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Good job on the mounts. Guys, it's to prevent a motor mount from twisting and breaking under torque and pressure. That could cause a little damage. But don't ask me how I know!! :lol: :lol: Mike

jrstockracer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by jrstockracer »

well theres a video of a slant six on youtube with an m90 blower on it, its on the dyno, and when they let off you can see how much the engine sets back down in the car. i will be running a larger blower and plan on making more power, so i want to prevent hitting my hood, or worse breaking a mount. heres a link to the videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzqzJptexW8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSIsCAGV7A0&NR=1