Need Stromberg WW Jetting Info and Recommendations

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
BrundleFly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Manitou Springs
State: CO

Need Stromberg WW Jetting Info and Recommendations

Post by BrundleFly »

There doesn't seem to much of anything about carb jetting on the forum for either Carters or Strombergs. A quick Google search indicates I can get different jets for the WW, but I haven't researched enough to determine what's stock for a '63 318 Poly or what would work well at higher altitudes.

Anyone have any information/suggestions on what the stock jetting is, and what might work well at say 6500 ±2000 feet? I've always jetted my bikes pretty lean, and managed to get both much improved throttle response and mileage. The jetting I have now definitely feels rich.

I found jets here:

http://www.carburetion.com/Stromberg.asp

Is there an alternate/better place to get them or might I even be able to get them through NAPA or something?

And, finally, how about a quick show of hands on whether it might be a good idea to replace the Stromberg WW with a Carter BBD? Is the manifold the same? Did Dodge switch from Stromberg to Carter at some point, or did they put different carbs on the different 318 models in the same years?

Bubb
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bremerton
State: WA

Re: Need Stromberg WW Jetting Info and Recommendations

Post by Bubb »

I dont know much about your jetting questions, but I will tell you this. I recently rebuilt and installed a Stromberg WW on my 68 (318 LA). The carb came off a 65 Poly and bolted right on to my 68 manifold with no issues. The only issue I had was the 65 choke spring was too long and the 68 one was too short so I just went with a manual choke. Hope this helps any.

Brad

BrundleFly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrundleFly »

This Service Manual is worth its weight in gold. :Thumbsup

Stromberg WW3
Main Metering Jet
Standard............. .053"
1 Size Lean.......... .051"
2 Sizes Lean......... .049"

Unless I hear otherwise, I think I'll go straight for the .049s, and see how they work.

Hewy
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Riverside
State: CA

Post by Hewy »

Thanks for posting this topic. I also was
concerned about my rich running WW on an A318.
I'm near sea level ( 800 ft ) Plugs are dark color
as well as the exhaust tips.
Is there a special tool to remove the jets ?

BrundleFly
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by BrundleFly »

No special tools needed. you just need to disassemble the carb to get to the bottom of the main body where the jets are mounted. They're just a threaded brass plug with a screwdriver slot.

BTW, Ol roy's runnin' like a champ now. :dance

Started right up after just a few seconds of cranking to prime the lines, and settled right into a steady cold idle as soon as I pushed the choke back in. Even cold, I could already punch the throttle, and not have him hesitate. And I was able to back the idle down and lean out the idle screws to about 1.5 turns out (from 2.5+ where I found them).

I'm likin' it!

P.S. Already got my first thumbs up and a shouted DODGE! from a guy in the Garden of the Gods. :Thumbsup

jim121960
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Arroyo Grande
State: CA

Post by jim121960 »

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone reads in the future, you will definitely need a special wrench to remove the jets from a Stromberg. The plugs come out with a screwdriver but not the actual jets. You can buy on EBay for about $20.