Causes of main bearing failure

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
indianajoel
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Bloomington
State: IN

Causes of main bearing failure

Post by indianajoel »

The main bearings went bad in one of my LA318's. I hear contradictory info from people on this: can bad timing (too advanced) damage the bearings?
Some people say yes and some say no, so I thought I'd survey your guys' opinions.

FWIW, mine were all worn down to copper, the crank journals are scored, one saddle in the block cracked, and before I pulled it, the engine had good oil pressure at start up, and running down the road, but real low pressure at idle after it warmed up. I assume that's because the bearings were bad and not the cause of them going bad.

thanks for help.
-Joel

EGroscup
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Escondido
State: CA

Re: Causes of main bearing failure

Post by EGroscup »

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? My guess would be that the cracked saddle started the whole mess, the oil pressure drops as the clearances open up then they start wearing. More wear less pressure and into the death spiral we go. My theory at least. Erik

elacruze
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Jensen Beach
State: FL

Post by elacruze »

:goodpost

The cracked saddle as well as the rod bearing failure can also be a result of a long-term detonation problem.

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

elacruze wrote::goodpost

The cracked saddle as well as the rod bearing failure can also be a result of a long-term detonation problem.
What he said.

truckluvr
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Eastern
State: OR

Post by truckluvr »

which saddle? #2? Long term detonation will cause (usually) rod bearing failure before main bearing failure. A cracked saddle can be caused by many things. Casting flaw from the factory, excess heat due to overheating/lack of lubrication, overrevving, out of balance issue... If you want to play sherlock holmes you could check pickup tube for clog, dampener for slippage, lifter galleys for blockage etc.