Need Help with a strange transmission quirk

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
69Adventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Dallas
State: TX

Need Help with a strange transmission quirk

Post by 69Adventurer »

Okay guys this one has me stumpped? :thinking
I have a A727 Loadflight in my 69 Adventurer (according to the data plate) it shifts great up/down thru all 3 gears and is smooth at highway speeds! I went on a 100 mile road trip to visit Scott last Sunday, When I got back home I parked the truck (on a level surface) in my garage Sunday evening, Then 4 days later Thursday after work I crawled under the truck to see what type of tranny mount I have (that's another story for a later post)! Then Saturday morning I went out to the garage to do some work on the old beast and found this pool of tranny fluid all over the floor of the garage! What the :censored is this?

This did happen to me once before about a month ago but the truck was parked outside on dirt on a slight incline for 2 weeks, so I shurgged it off cause of the incline and topped off the 2.5 missing quarts of ATF and drove it at least 6 more times with no issues until this last trip. :thinking

Has anyone experianced this or anything similar to this? any clues to what would cause the tranny to :puke 3 quarts of fluid all of a sudden? 5 days after it was driven?

My thinking is if there is a crack in the torque converter, a bad seal, a bad gasket, or a loose line, there would be fluid spraying out when it's started and driven there is no evidence of that anywhere just motor oil, and I know where that leak is coming from! ever gasket and seal on the old motor :lol:

I understand these are old gaskets and the truck has been sitting for at least 10 years and gaskets get old and give out, I guess the 5 day lapse in time just doesn't sit well with me and why did it not leak a drop after the first time if it's a gasket? makes no sense to me Please HELP this :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead is getting old :lol:
If you guys only knew all the issue's I've come across on '69
If you guys only knew all the issue's I've come across on '69
Tranny leak.2.JPG
I'm beginning to believe this is Christine's younger brother
I'm beginning to believe this is Christine's younger brother
1969 D100 Adventurer 413/A727 (Driver)
1956 3100 265/Hydromatic (Driver)
1990 1500 350/700R4 (Driver)

JimE
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Glendale,
State: AZ

Re: Need Help with a strange transmission quirk

Post by JimE »

It happened on an 84 Ramcharger I had and more recently on my 70 Camper Special. The fix is to make sure you are getting it all the way in Park when you leave it especially when parking on an incline. You have to crawl under the vehicle and adjust the linkage so it stops all the way in park, if you don't the torque converter is not sealed from leaking back into the pan and causing what have in your pictures. Jim
03 Hemi Ram 2500

69Adventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69Adventurer »

Thank you Jim for the info. :salut
I would have never thought to look at that! as the saying goes "you learn something new everyday" :Thumbsup
After the 50lbs of absorbant :lol: does it's job I'll get under there and check out the linkage.
Stay tuned I will post some other questions I have on this beast as I mentioned in the original post, I get better help, answers, and suggestions here than I do at the parts house. :salut

powertothepdub
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by powertothepdub »

Another possible cause is a leaking seal on the selector shaft where it goes into the trans.The fluid level is below this seal when the trans is in operation,when you shut it off the fluid drains down into the pan and increases the level above the seal and it leaks if the seal is bad.Hope this helps

69Adventurer
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by 69Adventurer »

I checked the linkage and it appeared to be adjusted correctly? :Thumbsup
But while messing with the linkage it started leaking again? :banghead
so I replaced the seal and it hasn't leaked since! :dance
while under there and the tranny 'bout empty I replace the filter and pan gasket! :Thumbsup
she's good to go...and boy does she go! :lol:

Thanks for the helpful suggestions guys, It's appreciated :salut :clap