headers

Engine, transmission, rear-end, driveline, fuel system etc..
MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member
City: Lakewood
State: CO

Re: headers

Post by MountainMoparRobin »

Good point Chiliort :goodpost and thats exactly the point many, many members have tried to tell Roger, his quote of much of our driving being below 3000 rpm isn't true, unfortunitly Roger doesn't drive a Sweptline , so he is rely on his driving a newer vehicle with Overdrive. Fact is most of these trucks have very low gearing: 3:91, 3:55's and 318's slant 6's and most people are at 3000 rpm's just going through he gears of the NP435. The majority of the members here Roger still drive the posted speed limit 35 mph and up. Soopernaut had posted the numbers on a 383 and the testing of it with HP manifolds then LONG TUBE HEADERS, torques was well above 10% Higher at idle, which is where most sweptline truck owners need it. Now don't read anything else into it, I'm not saying that every engine should have headers. but as stated by etsweptster headers give us truely engine minded gear heads an advantage because you can hear each cylinder that helps us keep on top of engine performance, and trouble shooting what could be a future spun bearing, bad plug, bad plug wire, etc. etc.

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Cookeville
State: TN

Post by chilort »

I like this board because it is non-confrontational for the most part. There are certain boards I go to, or actually don't go to any more because of all of the bickering and arrogance ... though sometimes they are fun to stop in on to see grown adult men acting like a group of teenage girls. ...but certainly not to gain any knowledge.

But seriously, the "world is flat" view of headers is outdated. Many of the gross limitations have been addressed in the last 40 years (warped flanges, too thin of a material so they quickly rust out), and it has been shown time and time again that there is no performance loss whatsoever and there are generally some nice performance gains to be had on an even slightly warmed up engine. And the hotter you go the better they get.

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
City: Cockeysville
State: MD

Post by wally426ci »

[quote="chilort"]sometimes they are fun to stop in on to see grown adult men acting like a group of teenage girls. ...quote]

We call that the corner of North Ave. and St. Paul Street here in baltimore, they even wear wigs and walk funny...... :lol: You can pay them too... :joker

712edf
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
City: Wichita Falls
State: TX

Post by 712edf »

Personally I have never doubted headers being better performers than manifolds. Street, strip, dyno or wherever......It just that the stupid things usually don't fit as well as advertised. :banghead

Bucky
1966 W500
1975 W600
1978 W200 club cab

etsweptster
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by etsweptster »

712edf wrote:Personally I have never doubted headers being better performers than manifolds. Street, strip, dyno or wherever......It just that the stupid things usually don't fit as well as advertised. :banghead

Bucky
This is a very true statement. I have had really good luck with fitment for the most part, but I did have one set of 440 headers that needed some tweaking...fortunately I test fit them on the motor BEFORE I installed them, because one of the bolt holes was off nearly the entire width of the hole. I had to slot the hole about 3/8 of inch to the one side. Then there is how well they fit the vehicle...the truck ones hung way too low for my application (Drug on the ground practically), and now that I switched to the newer magnum truck headers I am going to have to take them off, and have 2 of the tubes moved to clear the steering gear box. (right now I have one of the tubes smashed almost shut to clear it).

I wouldn't have it any other way though...even if I had to have them custom made from scratch. There is a guy here in the Springs that will custom build them for around $800, and that includes ceramic coating. (I think JetHot). More than I want to pay, but coated TTI headers cost that much!
Pump gas small blocks rock!

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

I did find some of the really nice 340 repo exhaust manifolds for those who might want to go that direction. I'm not opposed to manifolds; I see clear reasons for going with manifolds. So, here's the link if you've got a spare $550 plus tax and shipping:
http://shakerhood.com/product_info.php?products_id=225

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

:pale big money!

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Denton

Post by hampstead38 »

I'm with you, W. That's a little salty for the D200 money pit. I'm not against headers, but the issue for me is cost-benefit. In thinking about rebuilding the poly, I want to make sure I have plenty of torque... but the damn truck already has a 410 rear end. I should be able to pull stumps even with a pretty "stock" build. Let's say Rodger--the most polite guy I've bumped into in awhile--is right. Maybe you get a good bump in flow just by pulling the existing "Y" and running dual pipes into the two-in, one-out NAPA muffler? If I were building a poly to run quarters, or burn tires, or even push high RPMs, I guess headers would be a priority. Building an old truck to pull tin down the highway comfortably? If I had a spare $500, I think I'd pick up an intake manifold for a four-barrell and put the balance towards a good 4 bbl carb... but that's just me. :lol:

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

:lol: I completely agree.

I am on my way to do the 4 barrell upgrade and electronic ignition.... still will look for headers.... :thinking

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

I will say the exhaust routing on the poly is a little perplexing. Looking at the pipe snaking around in front of the oil pan today, I can see why Rodger says bringing a pair of pipes back would flow better. I'm not overly worried about dualling the exhaust all the way back. It's a truck, not a rat rod... at least for me. :lol:

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

hampstead38 wrote:I will say the exhaust routing on the poly is a little perplexing. Looking at the pipe snaking around in front of the oil pan today, I can see why Rodger says bringing a pair of pipes back would flow better. I'm not overly worried about dualling the exhaust all the way back. It's a truck, not a rat rod... at least for me. :lol:
you missed the point, long tube headers have benefits at idle and low speeds, Torque, this is what gets your truck rolling whether your just driving or pulling. The bad part is with a Poly your limited, because their is shorty's available, which they produce better numbers than manifolds, or buying a kit to make your own, Headers aren't just for going fast, and don't get me wrong I wouldn't put headers on everything, but making improvements to get better mileage, torque, and performance on some engine's is just human nature :lol:

CSS-Registry
Administrator
Administrator
City: Gainesville, Florida
State: FL

Post by CSS-Registry »

MountainMoparRobin wrote:
hampstead38 wrote:I will say the exhaust routing on the poly is a little perplexing. Looking at the pipe snaking around in front of the oil pan today, I can see why Rodger says bringing a pair of pipes back would flow better. I'm not overly worried about dualling the exhaust all the way back. It's a truck, not a rat rod... at least for me. :lol:
you missed the point, long tube headers have benefits at idle and low speeds, Torque, this is what gets your truck rolling whether your just driving or pulling. The bad part is with a Poly your limited, because their is shorty's available, which they produce better numbers than manifolds, or buying a kit to make your own, Headers aren't just for going fast
the DTA produces a tri Y header for the poly - http://www.t137.com/dtapoly/addpoly.php

i do not know if any more are available but if there are any you better get 'em while you can.

Ben
Custom Sports Special
& High Performance Package
R E G I S T R Y

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

My wife would argue spending money is "you men" nature. :lol:

Here's the thing, gents. Like Wally, I have a limited budget. And I'm working on this money pit '67 Airstream travel trailer along with the D200. I did some sweet talkin' that may get me a parts truck (and some odd junk). Before I can spend $500+ on headers, my wife is going to ask me if that same amount of money wouldn't buy some AC, or sound proofing, or something else that might make the old girl a bit more civilized. Trust me, gents, you can't built a motor with more "torque" than an angry wife. :salut

wally426ci
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wally426ci »

hampstead38 wrote:My wife would argue spending money is "you men" nature. :lol:

Here's the thing, gents. Like Wally, I have a limited budget. And I'm working on this money pit '67 Airstream travel trailer along with the D200. I did some sweet talkin' that may get me a parts truck (and some odd junk). Before I can spend $500+ on headers, my wife is going to ask me if that same amount of money wouldn't buy some AC, or sound proofing, or something else that might make the old girl a bit more civilized. Trust me, gents, you can't built a motor with more "torque" than an angry wife. :salut
We have surprising similarities!!! :lol:

My wife also keeps wondering why I get 1968 truck brochures in the mail from eBay..... :joker

chilort
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer
Sweptline.ORG Pioneer

Post by chilort »

Luckily, my wife likes torque. And wants to know why on the first trip out with the new motor I seemed to baby it a little.....

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

hampstead38 wrote:My wife would argue spending money is "you men" nature. :lol:

In your situation and many others, that poly is a powerful small block, if it runs, and dependable, I could be happy with that for a long time, I paid under $200 for mine thats why I got them, their is limits on how high a part can be and still be reasonable for a normal project to be worth while, you could port them exhaust manifolds and get some help :Thumbsup

MountainMoparRobin
Founding Member
Founding Member

chilort wrote:Luckily, my wife likes torque. And wants to know why on the first trip out with the new motor I seemed to baby it a little.....
you got very lucky with your spouse :Thumbsup

hampstead38
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member

Post by hampstead38 »

I have to admit... I'm very lucky in the spousal department. She's very tolerant... but she would like the exhaust system to run quiet. She loves the look of an old truck... but she doesn't want the smell or feel of an old truck.

dietzdiggler
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: union
State: SC

Post by dietzdiggler »

hampstead38 wrote:I have to admit... I'm very lucky in the spousal department. She's very tolerant... but she would like the exhaust system to run quiet. She loves the look of an old truck... but she doesn't want the smell or feel of an old truck.
mine likes what I TELL her to like.
2 Corinthians 7:10 ---> Romans 10:9

1965 Dodge Polara 383
1963 D-100 step side 5.2 magnum
1967 Plymouth Belvedere II 383
1962 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon 361

Oldguy
Sweptline.ORG Member
Sweptline.ORG Member
City: Reno
State: NV

Post by Oldguy »

Laugh at Deitz!!! At least she lets you think that! LOL Mike
Remember, if you run out of projects, you die!
http://pics.livejournal.com/mikescars/